Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing oil cooler seals

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 09:53 AM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing oil cooler seals

I need to replace my oil cooler seals and have a 2 quick questions. Since I already have the head and exhaust manifolds out of the car do I still need to remove the pressure sensor and unhook the oil lines. I was hoping that with the extra room I would be able to just slide the housing back a ways, replace the seals and save my self some time.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:17 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

You might be able to get away with not removing the pressure sender, but the lines will have to come off. I just did mine, out of car, so much easier that way (granted that wasnt the only reason I had the engine out). The lines use 27mm and 32mm wrenches IIRC.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:29 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with the oil lines on there is that they will probably pull on the housing as you go to install it. Then you run the risk of being slightly misaligned and the OPRV not seated right or risk cutting an o-ring. I've always disconnected the hoses and connected them later. I usually put the small sleeve in the housing, put the gasket on, install the housing, then OPRV seated, then torque it, then install the hoses and sender. my .02
Old 09-10-2005, 12:48 PM
PCinDC
Rennlist Lifetime Member
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried it "the easy way" with the hoses still attached and ended up with a misaligned OPRV just like Bret says. Doing the job once is no fun, doing it twice because you were too lazy to do it right really sucks. Take his advice.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:04 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

People "have" done it... But, you won't be able to clean the crud out of the housing sealing surface that way. You also need to take some care to orient the oil connector pipe inside properly to avoid mixing, which may be a bit harder without full access. As for aligning the OPRV, just get the alignment tool to avoid concern. Ian at 944online.com wil rent them. I have a write-up with pics on my rennlist site.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:20 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Tom, actually your write up is the one that I weas following. Was just trying to get away with not having to unhook the oil lines but I really don't want to have to do it twice so I will go ahead and unhook them.
Thanks everyone for your inputs!

Quick Reply: Replacing oil cooler seals