Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I got my 944 turbo!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 03:38 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I got my 944 turbo!!!!!

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I have really enjoyed seeing and reading about everyone’s 944’s here, and I finally got mine! After about a year of searching, I found (and bought) my ’89 turbo in apparently excellent condition. I say “apparently” because I’m waiting for it to be shipped from Ohio to me in Arizona, but the many pictures I have make it look perfect in every way. It has less than 24,000 original miles.

Here is the story. The previous owner has a bodyshop, and bought it 9 years ago from his buddy who smashed the front end. A VIN check confirms that it was just body damage and I am told that the damaged fender, bumper and airbags were replaced with original parts, along with the windshield. It was re-painted at that time with Glasurit paint. He kept it garaged and put less than 6000 miles on it since then.

The catch is, it has a salvage title from that accident. Assuming this is all true….maybe you guys can give me some input (and possibly predictions?) as to what it’s worth.

I know that if it had never been in an accident, it would be worth more to the collectors. It won't matter to me, assuming I can't tell it was wrecked with a close inspection. I was looking for one with more miles that had been rebuilt and restored. Hopefully this one will go for a while without any major repairs.

How do I post pictures in a thread? I'll post some when I get it- gray exterior, cream interior, exactly what I wanted. 24,000 miles. I can't believe it. It'll be a long few weeks waiting for it to arrive...

Kevin
Old 09-08-2005, 03:49 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome aboard Kevin!

Click on "post thread", on the left of the screen, then "manage attachments", got some pics up! If you get stuck, just PM me and I will give you my email address and will post them for ya! Sounds like you have a mint 944 there... now... lets see what mods should go on
Old 09-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey kevin! I believe that at one point I almost bought the car you did! except it was in Virginia I believe. post pictures! I would like to see if it really is the one I was looking at. I was a little skeptical about the whole salvage and rebuild, but when I talked to the seller, he said the front end was not affected and it was strictly body work. Is it a dark grey with burgandy leather? and newer style porsche wheels? if so then it looked beautiful(not saying yours doesnt :-P) either way, welcome to the list! its an awesome resource. its already helped me out a lot on my 88 951S
Old 09-08-2005, 10:14 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I know that car. Was it in the Cincinnati area? Did you get a PPI?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:29 PM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's only had the damage you listed, I wouldn't worry about the salvage title. If you've been looking for a while you know that a 951 isn't an investment in any way, shape, or form. It sounds like it's just a technicality and if you're buying it for "toy" type use does it really matter anyway? I'd say that a salvage title is a fair tradeoff for an 89 with under 24k miles.

If you want I'm sure one of us other Arizona folks would be happy to look at it for you. If you're in the Phoenix area, I'm in Tempe, and Jeremy Himsel is in Peoria and helps a lot of people out with self-help type stuff. (Not volunteering you unwittingly there Jeremy, I just know how often you're helping people out). I'd be happy to take a look at it for you or if you'd rather have a shop do it, either Don Jackson in Northern Phoenix, Stuttgart Southwest in Tempe, or Exotic Motorwerks which is by Papago Park are all experienced with 951s.

In being anxious to buy my car, I skipped a thorough PPI on mine and admittedly it did bite me in the *** somewhat repairwise, but from fixing it I also learned a lot about the car which is never a bad thing.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:41 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Here is the only real problem with a salvaged title...and I could be wrong.

Good luck on insurance.

If you do start to modify it and make it a masterpiece that burns rubber and looks good doing it....and say an engine fire, or someone hits it.....I think you might have a problem.

Now if it is a track car...no biggy.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:44 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Just one thought, 24,000 miles is very low. Make sure that whoever inspects it goes over all the seals and hoses. My car had 60k when I got it. I didn't know that it had spent almost two years in a garage. So as soon as I started driving it all sorts of oil leaks popped up. These cars need to be driven regularly. Have fun and good luck with it!
~Josh
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Aaah, yes, the self-help items…….. On Mondays I usually give light sessions of psycho-therapy and acupuncture to help some of the local 951 guys cope with their butter-**** syndrome, Wednesdays are dedicated to helping the guys overcome their beer drinking issues, Fridays we deal with gambling and marital problems (by playing poker and complaining about our wives), and Saturdays are always dedicated to working on the cars. No worries Brian, the more the merrier.

Arizona is an easy state to get a restored-salvage title in. I did one on a 951 for my dad last year and it consisted of a $50 fee and the inspector checking the . I know State-Farm in Arixzona will give you full coverage insurance on a restored-salvage title.

Most Saturdays there are a three to five 951 guys floating around my garage so you’re welcome to stop by, have a drink, and learn a little about your car. I’d be more then happy to go through it for you and I have all of the “special” tools” (except for a flywheel lock LOL). If you really want a crash course, I’m installing a motor in a 951 this Saturday.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:19 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the club.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:34 PM
z3bra
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeremy Himsel
Aaah, yes, the self-help items…….. On Mondays I usually give light sessions of psycho-therapy and acupuncture to help some of the local 951 guys cope with their butter-**** syndrome, Wednesdays are dedicated to helping the guys overcome their beer drinking issues, Fridays we deal with gambling and marital problems (by playing poker and complaining about our wives), and Saturdays are always dedicated to working on the cars. No worries Brian, the more the merrier.

Arizona is an easy state to get a restored-salvage title in. I did one on a 951 for my dad last year and it consisted of a $50 fee and the inspector checking the . I know State-Farm in Arixzona will give you full coverage insurance on a restored-salvage title.

Most Saturdays there are a three to five 951 guys floating around my garage so you’re welcome to stop by, have a drink, and learn a little about your car. I’d be more then happy to go through it for you and I have all of the “special” tools” (except for a flywheel lock LOL). If you really want a crash course, I’m installing a motor in a 951 this Saturday.
Speaking of a certain flywheel lock, if the tension gauge is available I'm ready for it and then you can have em both back a day or so later. I just need to calibrate my handy dandy sonic belt tension meter to the P9201. On the plus side, once I do that we will all have a definitive answer as to what the belt tension is in a quantifiable unit such as lbs or kgs instead of the mystery 2.7 units on the P9201.

All I have to say regarding getting the damn thing back together is two words: Scope Creep.

Let me know if/when it's available (and the pin wrench and the bent 27mm for the pulley as well) and I'll come and pick em up for a night.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think we need more Az Rennlisters on the track.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:36 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
I think we need more Az Rennlisters on the track.
That would be a possibility if more of our cars ran properly at the same time. The last one a few of us (at least in my garage group) made it to was AMP (pathetic I know). A few of us are ready to going back to the once a month thing now that everyone's running and the heat will be taking a break.

Brian, the gauge is yours if you need it. Come pick it up this weekend.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:15 PM
z3bra
Racer

What about tonight or tomorrow night? Just thinking I could have it back to you by Saturday sometime if I get it tonight or tomorrow night. I'm off work right now so other than the morning when I have classes pretty much anytime's ok.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tonight sounds good. I'll be home after 4:30.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:54 AM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oops I tried to reply to you guys and accidentally started a new thread with pictures here-
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...30#post2429530
Kevin

Quick Reply: I got my 944 turbo!!!!!