Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gees, my 87 turbo still did not sell

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:30 PM
Missin2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meh.. 7.5 is not that bad.. not exceptional..

I got mine for $8200 with a rebuilt motor from porsche that had only 45K on it

nice suspesnion, autothority MAF/chips, boost controller, test pipe, and a few other goodies..

exterior/ interior are typical for a car of its age.. but the paint was in good shape.. a few dents and chips cracked dash ect.. the normal crap..

these cars have a tendancy to fly under the radar.. and again.. coming from some experience in new car sales, this is hands down the worst time of the year to be selling cars..

the PO of my car wanted 9.5K and it jsut kept dropping and dropping for about 2 months..

then I was in the possition to buy.. fortunatly it was still there

you gota think of it this way.. the car has over 100K and it not know for its reliability..
it may be in ok shape but over 100K freaks people out.

and at that point why spend more money for a car with 100 thousand or 150 thousanrd for 1/2 that cost..

both will need work.. its a crapshoot at that point..

anyway i am done..
Old 09-08-2005, 12:08 AM
tammons
Pro

Update. I was going through the receipts and I missed it a bit. It has had 8G work done on the last 5-7k miles.

Yes over 100k miles on it and 18 years old but to find a real honest low mileage unmolested garaged car that is 18 years old is very rare. Expensive too if you can find one.

Of course my really nice car is a mint 928 83s which is 22 years old and has 150k miles and it runs like a top. Its a gas guzzler though. I am ready for a plug in speedster.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:33 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

John, I had a billion emails when I got back to teh office after being out for about a week, I'll go back and find it.

And don't worry, I won't buy this one out from under you!

Regards,
Old 09-08-2005, 01:08 AM
pcarphanatik
Pro

I would reccomend you list it on TheSamba.com

When selling my wife's VW Gti we decided to PAY for an ad in the paper and on cars.com

We got only jokers and lowballers!

I posted the car on thesamba and I had a definite buyer the same day. In the end his loan company wouldn't give him credit for a vehicle w/o factory warranty.

Anyway the point is that you need to market to an audience who is fanatic about owning a Porsche.

So put an ad on rennlist, thesamba, pelican parts forums, vwvortex, audiworld, and craigslist (also better than my ad in the paper). You just plain need ALOT of exposure and patience. Best of luck!
Old 09-08-2005, 09:23 PM
tammons
Pro

Oh, okay. Yeah I got delayed a few hours on getting back to you. Hope you got a good one.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:18 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, not just one but two boots to the jewels! Sounds like you need to start taking this sale a little more seriously
Old 09-09-2005, 02:50 PM
tammons
Pro

Originally Posted by ibkevin
WOW, not just one but two boots to the jewels! Sounds like you need to start taking this sale a little more seriously
Well, one serious buyer did not even leave a message when he called. I guess I did not realize I had to sit on top of the phone to make a sale. I am a pretty busy person.

For Aaron I had already discussed the car via email and I had to run out and had a 3 hour delay in which I was out and could not email him back. In the mean time he bought another car, so I dont exactly know what else I can do. I think it pays to take time when buying a 951, due to all the little things that can go wrong.

Now it has gotten to the point that I have an 87 951, 81 928, a very mint 83 928s that I got for pretty cheap and could probably make 3-4G on if I sold that.

My 951 is nice enough, (not perfect though), with full reciepts 107k, lsd, s4 brakes, never wrecked, that I am not going to give it away. Actually now i am thinking i might replace the turbo, do the cv joints, and fix the cruise control keep it and sell my 83 928s, especially with gas prices.

I think part of the problem might be that the state of FL with their $7 and hour emission employees screwed up. In the autocheck report it goes from 68k miles to 138k miles in 2.5 years around 1997, and it looks like the clock was rocked, but it was not. It was a mistake at the emmisions station. I have full reciepts throughout that entire period and they are normal. Definately a mistake, but now I am not sure how to get it corrected. So far i have emailed autocheck and am waiting on a reply.

Check out my last round of photos and receipts.
http://www.pbase.com/tammons/951
Old 09-09-2005, 03:11 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

You might want to tidy up that engine bay a bit too. I see the vent hose sticking up from the timing belto covers, a fuel pressure gauge that looks to be threaded at an angle and some general dirt grim in there. Appearance is everything. Spend an hour or so making her pretty and I think you'll get a better response.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:28 PM
tammons
Pro

The pressure guage is at an angle, because if it is intsalled straight in it will hit the hood.
Thats a VDO guage so I might just remove it and keep it anyway.

Yes I should clean it up. Actually I have almost decided I will probably have to fix everything and get it into perfect shape to sell it, and I know myself well enough, that if I do fix everything and install a new turbo, I wont want to sell it, so it may be so long 928S.

I am headed to Miami tomorrow to pick up some CV joints.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:26 PM
tammons
Pro

If I did not pick up, either I was not here or was on another call. Like I said I am a busy person. Does not really matter now anyway.
Especially with porsches it is a good idea to take some time when buying them due to the extreme cost of repairs. I almost bought a 911 turbo factory slant a while back and I was glad I waited. Too many problems as I found out later. That would have cost me an immediate 10-15G.

Now I am thinking about fixing everything on my 951 and keeping it anyway. After all it has all the right stuff and 107k miles and all receipts back to the original owner. Besides I can probably make 3-4G on my 928s.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:53 PM
tammons
Pro

Okay. I bought NEW axles from Vertex and fixed a couple more odds and ends.
the axles are going on Tuesday.
Gees if i keep on going, I might as well just keep it !
Old 09-10-2005, 04:18 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tammons
If I did not pick up, either I was not here or was on another call. Like I said I am a busy person. Does not really matter now anyway.
Especially with porsches it is a good idea to take some time when buying them due to the extreme cost of repairs. I almost bought a 911 turbo factory slant a while back and I was glad I waited. Too many problems as I found out later. That would have cost me an immediate 10-15G.

Now I am thinking about fixing everything on my 951 and keeping it anyway. After all it has all the right stuff and 107k miles and all receipts back to the original owner. Besides I can probably make 3-4G on my 928s.

I would keep the 951 and sell the 928s keep it lean if you know what I mean.
Old 09-10-2005, 06:25 PM
tammons
Pro

Thats exactly what i am thinking about.

928's although sweet rides really suck down the gas. At this point if I have my turbo rebuilt and a few other simple odds and ends my 951 will be solid for years. Everything else has been redone, rebuilt or replaced in the last 7k miles.

Quick Reply: Gees, my 87 turbo still did not sell