Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

my suspension is CLUNKING from coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 07:35 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FSAEracer03

Another point I'd question... spring hieght... about how high is the spring perch from the bottom thread (in inches)?
Ohh man nothing outragues, like 2" maybe? Nothing out of the ordinary.
Im really starting to wonder if it could be the upper strut mount maybe? Im really not sure what the clunk is???
Old 09-08-2005, 09:36 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Interesting... what mounts do you have?

2" isn't outrageous at all... I'm around the same, as are most every other car I've seen on these
Old 06-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Doable
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
I installed new konis and paragons height adjustable coilover kit up front on my 87 and have since had a lot of clunking from the suspension. While going slow you can really hear it over every bump and turning also you can hear a rubbing(metal on metal). Im pretty sure it is just because of the upper perch and upper strut mount are two metal pieces so there will be some noise. But to me it is VERY annoying and would like to fix it. Would helper springs help out with the clunking since there would be no play in the strut assembly. As for the rubbing could that be solved maybe by a polyuerathane little bushing between the upper perch and the upper strut mount? Any suggestions would be great as im sure others have had this problem!
Thanks alot!
Did you ever find out what was causing this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem on the very same setup.
Old 06-23-2016, 07:16 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Doable
Did you ever find out what was causing this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem on the very same setup.
Clunking could be from camber plate bearings. I had some ground control camber plates that made Clunking when turning. I've read most have this issue with this brand. I've switched to racers edge camber plates and that solved the Clunking.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:05 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The little helper springs you are referring to are for keeping the springs seated on the perches when the weight is off the car (when its jacked up).

They completely coil bind when the weight of the car is on them, and would have no effect on reducing noise - might even make it worse. The noise you are hearing is not the spring rattling around, its the spring popping or binding and releasing as it twists on the spring perches. Pretty normal for any flat edged linear spring on flat perches.

Youll notice that the factory spring seats/perches catch the last coil end of the spring, so both the top and bottom of the spring are stationary relative to the perch.

With the aftermarket kits, the spring can move on the flat perch, which it does when you turn and the whole strut rotates. The spring will twist until it releases and it slides on the perch, you get the "boing" sound.

I dont think there is an easy solution to this.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ings-ever.html

Cheers,
Mike
Old 06-27-2016, 05:46 AM
Doable
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by shortyboy
Clunking could be from camber plate bearings. I had some ground control camber plates that made Clunking when turning. I've read most have this issue with this brand. I've switched to racers edge camber plates and that solved the Clunking.
I already have the Racer's edge plates installed, but I will check the bearings. The sound from turning doesn't bother me, but when running over the tiniest bumps there is clunking and it sounds like the whole front end is gonna fall apart.

Quick Reply: my suspension is CLUNKING from coilovers