a couple of gauge questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:38 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question a couple of gauge questions

I'm about to embark on a little project I like to call "Operation Cash Incinerator". Thought I start on the necessary instrumentation first so I'm going to install a boost gauge and a/f gauge for stage one. So here are my questions:

1. Is the O2 sensor wide or narrow band?
2. Does VDO make an a/f gauge?
3. Who makes an a-pillar pod that fits? I saw a lotec group buy a few months ago . How do they fit?
4. Anyone have any gauge recommendations? I'm currently considering VDO for a "stockish" look but I like what I've seen from Auto Meter and am leaning towards those.

Stage two will include dp wastgate, mbc, chips, 3bar fpr.

Stage three will be exhaust.

Stage four... who knows?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:42 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

First the answers to your questions...

1. Narrowband, although you may consider a wideband kit if you plan to go past Stage 3 (ex. new turbo + piggyback + maf). I think Zeitronix makes an affordable one at around $300.

2. I do not think so, although I may be wrong on this one...

3. I am not using an A-pillar, because I would not want to have my A/F gauge with it lights in my face all the time and I think it looks too ricey. I am using a panel from Lindsey with cutouts for 2 gauges and their MBC. I think it looks good and doesn't attract too much attention. The A-pillar pods do fit nicely I have heard but make sure you get the correct finish so it matches your interior.

4. Whatever floats your boat and is in your budget, a boost gauge is a boost gauge in my book. I went with Autometer for the price and I know they make decent units. You may be more limited on your A/F selection as to which to choose from.

As for your modding path, it's the exact same as mine.....

Stage 1. Autometer A/F and Boost/Vac Gauges
Stage 2. Lindsey MBC, Bosch 3Bar FPR, Tial 38mm, Vitesse AFM Chip
Stage 3. Full 3" Exhaust w/ no cat
Stage 4. Don't know yet

I have just completed the Stage 2 install tonight and will be testing it tommorrow. Hopefully it goes as expected!
Old 09-01-2005, 11:55 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the input.

I am going with A-pillar because I have the factory 10 speaker with graphic eq and I'm not updating the sound system anytime soon so there is no room.

The only difference in our mod paths is that I'm boing with the Lindsey dpwg and Accuboost MBC. My stage 2 will occur sometime this winter. Stage 4 may just be another car. Wife wants a Boxter.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:47 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the VDO gauges, since they match the interior and other gauges well.

Quick Reply: a couple of gauge questions