Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

punched out the center of thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 12:10 PM
tonyzp007
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default punched out the center of thermostat

so i was told that removing the thermostat completly wasn't a good idea so i decided that i will hack out the center of my thermostat and leaving the washer ring in (THE EXTERIOR OF THE T STAT ),and man does it stay cool now , i was running a hair under the third line before and now when ever the car is moving i stay at the first line ,and when in traffic it stays between the second and third ,PERFECT
Old 09-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

The reason they say not to run without a thermostat is because, when the plunger slides open, it does two things. It opens the hole to let the coolant flow, and the inside end of it slides up against the waterpump's bypass port to prevent coolant from recirculating inside the pump (which is what is does before the t-stat opens). So, the bad news is -- by removing the whole center section, you are in no different position than if you just pulled out the t-stat. The good news is I've been running without a t-stat for over a year and (all theory aside) it makes my car run cooler too (except at low rpm around town, where the temp seems to fluctuate more, presumably from the bypass), and I've had no side-effects yet.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:30 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it was running just under the third line beforehand, what you have done is offered your car a temporary solution to a permanent problem. there must be something else going on with your cooling system that should be addressed soon.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:35 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

An old racer's trick is to drill 2x 1/4" holes in the ring around the center so that some constant flow is allowed but the t-stat still functions and allows quicker warm-up of the motor. If the t-stat fails and seizes there is some some trickle to hopefully prevent catastrophe.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:55 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eclou
An old racer's trick is to drill 2x 1/4" holes in the ring around the center so that some constant flow is allowed but the t-stat still functions and allows quicker warm-up of the motor. If the t-stat fails and seizes there is some some trickle to hopefully prevent catastrophe.
I did that when I used to race a Mustang SVO. And by the way, you better make sure your t-stat is working now. I lived near the Galleria and this is one of the hottest months down there, its nuts!

Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 600 Posts

Galleria in Houston? Great. We need to arrange another 944/951 GTG soon. My 951 only goes out on early cool mornings on the weekend.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:46 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I used to live not far from the Galleria in Houston. I was actually near the Willowbrook Mall, off of RT. 1960?

Anyway, I know the summers down there are absolutely crazy, hence, why you better have a fantastic A/C!! The humidity is insane this time of year. If I still lived there, you wouldn't catch me driving my 951 in the summer time, no way -even with the extra "Kiss" Oil Cooler I have too. I'd be at Papasittos having drinks and frajitas...

Quick Reply: punched out the center of thermostat