Crosspost: Gauges working intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005 | 09:08 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Crosspost: Gauges working intermittently

Hey guys,
Cross posting this from the general forum.

My gauges are working intermittently and currently not at all. When the gauges are not working, everything else works except for the odmeter and cruise control. The turn signal still works as does the indicator light in the dash. It basically looks as though all the gauges lose power. I cleaned all the connectors and tried again, but the gauges are still not working.

With the ignition in the off position, the only wire on the 3 bundles connecting to the gauge pod that has 12v is the red wire on bundle B.

With the ignition in the on position, the red wire maintains its 12v reading. Also, two wires, the black wire and black/green, wire on bundle B get 12v and a black/white wire on bundle C gets 12v.

I can't seem to interpret what my wiring diagrams are saying. Does anyone know what these wires are? Does anyone know which wire is the correct wire that is the primary power wire for all the gauges? I believe that the red wire is just a signal from the battery to the voltometer. Since my turn signals still work, I am assuming one of the black wires is that.

Can anyone help me out with either which wires should have power, which wires are the grounds, or email me a correct wiring diagram for an 86 951? Any help would be appreciated!!!
Old 08-28-2005 | 12:08 AM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

sounds like a grounding problem...
Old 08-28-2005 | 10:50 AM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well do you know which wire in which bundle is supposed to be a ground? I have both the factory manuals and the haynes electrical diagrams and they are both terrible for the gauge cluster. Do you know where the ground I need to verify and clean is? Thanks,

Quick Reply: Crosspost: Gauges working intermittently