Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Analyzer... library of parts and values

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
NZ: What i like to know is this, when you started this thread, you entered the combustion design to be a Hemi Design. I then responded by saying that the combustion design is not a Hemi design, which referes to the cylinder head being "half spherical" or "dome" shapped. You didn't update the info there at all, that is untill Skunk chimed in and helped out.

What i am trying to say is that you started this thread and posted some incorrect data (one being the combustion design), what makes you 100% sure that the rest of the data is correct? So far, only Skunk tested the data, it would be nice that if someone also tested the data (according to what spec you have) and gave us more input (and no, i am not saying Skunk is wrong about anything, you just can't have enough information).

Secondly, just how accurate is this program? i recall you mentioned:

Did you compare this software with real life data and got the same results?
Horseram, I guess you missed these posts of mine in this very thread.

Originally Posted by NZ951
Below are specifications to use on the Engine Analyzer. Given I have not verified the specs of the mods personally, I cant assure they are precise
PS so far the engine analyser with almost my exact setup, is within 5 WHP of what I dyno'ed...
The purpose of this library is to gather information and verify it where possible so EVERYONE can benefit from it when they look at modding their cars. As more information comes in, I change the specs where appropriate and we get more robust information. Thats the point of this forum generally!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:04 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Bump. Thread Edited. hosrom_951, if you have a beef with this thread and some "hidden agenda" - work it out in private. Or you can e-mail me at admin@rennlist.com and explain why a basic thread should be hijacked. But, I have to warn you - I have a really short attention span on this.

John D.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:49 AM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to offer this on this subject. Be careful with all of these programs as they can give you false hopes.

Never lose touch with what is already known. Lets consider the Head Flow numbers posted. I find them hard to believe. I do know that these Heads never achieve the same numbers on any other Flow bench. But this sort of thing is typical. Same with posted HP numbers. These are what we buy into, and spend money on. They call this marketing, false but its still marketing.

Consider this. Ask any engine builder who knows his stuff, and he should be able to quote the Flow Numbers od any typical hotrodded SBC head with the std, 2.02" Intake valves. These heads flow approx 250 CFM at around 0.600 lift. Take a look at the size of the ports. To flow these sort of numbers, you need good port work and port volume. You can have all the fancy Seat work etc, but without tye volume in the port, the port will never flow. So how come this little Porsche Head can match the flow, with smaller ports, smaller Valves etc. Have they found something no other Engine builder has been able to do, with all of the work done to SBC Heads, after all of this time? And with smaller Valves! I think not, and Other Flow benches have proved this.

If you knew what you were doing, you would know what SBC Heads flow amonst others, and never quote numbers that are so far off from being real. It is no surprise they want you to send your Head to them to flow.

Head flow numbers are a base line and should be used as a base line only. Big numbers do not mean your going to get more HP. A great flowing head with poor mapping could result in less Power.

Heads should be flowed with the manifold and butterfly attached to give a more realistic flow number. Lift numbers should be real not more than the engine sees. I bet you would not see the numbers posted with the manifold fitted to a larger port head either. Beware, there are Salesman lurking amongst us.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:57 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Great post m42racer... hit the nail on the head.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:16 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by m42racer
I would like to offer this on this subject. Be careful with all of these programs as they can give you false hopes.
I do agree. It's very easy to make a theoretical setup that looks great,but actually finding the flow area/CFM to achieve this or just finding room "in the real world" for that super-duper theoretical intake manifold is a bit trickier.

Never lose touch with what is already known. Lets consider the Head Flow numbers posted. I find them hard to believe. I do know that these Heads never achieve the same numbers on any other Flow bench. But this sort of thing is typical. Same with posted HP numbers. These are what we buy into, and spend money on. They call this marketing, false but its still marketing.

Consider this. Ask any engine builder who knows his stuff, and he should be able to quote the Flow Numbers od any typical hotrodded SBC head with the std, 2.02" Intake valves. These heads flow approx 250 CFM at around 0.600 lift. Take a look at the size of the ports. To flow these sort of numbers, you need good port work and port volume. You can have all the fancy Seat work etc, but without tye volume in the port, the port will never flow. So how come this little Porsche Head can match the flow, with smaller ports, smaller Valves etc. Have they found something no other Engine builder has been able to do, with all of the work done to SBC Heads, after all of this time? And with smaller Valves! I think not, and Other Flow benches have proved this.

If you knew what you were doing, you would know what SBC Heads flow amonst others, and never quote numbers that are so far off from being real. It is no surprise they want you to send your Head to them to flow.
I guess you're talking of LR's numbers now...not the ones I posted...?

Head flow numbers are a base line and should be used as a base line only. Big numbers do not mean your going to get more HP. A great flowing head with poor mapping could result in less Power.
It doesn't even have to have bad mapping...it could just flow well,but have a too-big port for the combination/rpm to be optimum.

Heads should be flowed with the manifold and butterfly attached to give a more realistic flow number. I bet you would not see the numbers posted with the manifold fitted to a larger port head either.
Tried this...and the stock manifold flows more at it's worst flowing runner than ANY head that it has been attached to (unless you try flowing the biggest head at 15+mm valve lift,though,then it is slightly restrictive.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:14 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote,
"I guess you're talking of LR's numbers now...not the ones I posted...?"

My mistake.

In the past when I have bought parts that never lived up to their hipe, I never wanted to admit to that fact.

The guy I kept convincing, that they worked, was myself.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:42 AM
Tomas L
Pro

In the past when I have bought parts that never lived up to their hipe, I never wanted to admit to that fact.

When you spend your hard earned $ on a performance part, you really want it to work and therefore it's very easy to convince yourself that the gain was bigger than it really was. Or in the worst case, that there was a performance gain when there really were none (maybe even a performance loss).
A raleted thing we encounter is "tuner bonding". When you buy a part that really work or when you feel that the tuner have given you good service, you extend these facts to the fact that all parts from this tuner is good and that he always will give good service. In really bad cases this becomes a religious belief and no matter how many people states the opposite, you KNOW that they are wrong.
This also works the other way around, one bad part or one case of bad service = always bad parts and service and noone should tell you otherwise.

We see this behavior a lot here at Rennlist.

Tomas
Old 09-14-2005, 05:52 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Bump...
Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Head (measure in inch)
LINDSEY RACING STAGE 2 Porting with 45 mm intake valves

Intake
Valve diameter 45
Average port diameter 42.02
Port length 82.5
Anti-reversion % 0

Full Intake Flow table @ 28"
Valve Lift"......mm......Flow,CFM

Exhaust
Valve diameter 40
Average port diameter 34.16
Port length 107.5
Single flow coef .597
Anti-reversion % 0

CR 8:1............................................Material/coating: Aluminium
Chamber design:Typical Wedge.................Burn Rating:Typical

STOCK 951 HEAD
Intake port specs:........................... Exhaust port Specs
# valves/Ports: 1valve &1 port .................1 valve& 1 port
Intake valve dia: 45....................................... 40
Avg port Dia: 41.39 .......................................34.16
Port lenght: 82.5 ..........................................107.5
Anti-rev: 0%................................................. 0%

Intake flow table @ 28" Ex. Single Flow Coeff: 0.597
Valve lift ". ..........mm.....................Flow CFM
0.0787..................2........................ 47,047
0,1575 .................4.........................95,524
0,2362 .................6.......................146,386
0,31496 ...............8.......................168,395
0,3937 ...............10.......................178,596
0,4724 ...............12.......................194,373
0,53149..............14....................... 201.73

CR: 8:1 .....................................Material/ Coating: Aluminium
Chamber design: Typical Wedge......... Burn rating: Typical
Hey NZ,cleaned up the layout of the stock head specs so that all the numbers wouldn't get tangled up in eachother (hence the active use of ......... for spacing) ,and added the LR St2 head specs.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:51 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Skunk that is awesome!

PS I think we may get more data up here soon too

Its go good to have independent flow testing done! Great job.
Old 09-15-2005, 02:11 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Changed the list... has anyone else found something fairly interesting with the Lindsey Racing heads and their flow compared to stock???
Old 09-16-2005, 07:50 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Skunk, have you tested the Stage 2 Lindsey Racing IC?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where do you place the input for things such as a lightened crank, flywheel, pressure plate?
Old 09-16-2005, 08:18 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

When you spend your hard earned $ on a performance part, you really want it to work and therefore it's very easy to convince yourself that the gain was bigger than it really was. Or in the worst case, that there was a performance gain when there really were none (maybe even a performance loss).
A raleted thing we encounter is "tuner bonding". When you buy a part that really work or when you feel that the tuner have given you good service, you extend these facts to the fact that all parts from this tuner is good and that he always will give good service. In really bad cases this becomes a religious belief and no matter how many people states the opposite, you KNOW that they are wrong.
This also works the other way around, one bad part or one case of bad service = always bad parts and service and noone should tell you otherwise.

We see this behavior a lot here at Rennlist.

Tomas

Really well said.
Old 09-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Skunk, have you tested the Stage 2 Lindsey Racing IC?
Yeah,I've mentioned it earlier in the thread. 141CFM @10"...that's 235.938CFM @ 28". Stock IC we tested was 147.5 CFM @ 10"...that's 246.8 @ 28".. But then again...no two IC's flow exactly the same.

Quick Reply: Engine Analyzer... library of parts and values