Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone have the SPEC clutch installed???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:19 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again to all for the input and advice!!! As always I can count on our community here for the answer adn help!!
Old 08-25-2005, 07:20 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by littlejt1
As always I can count on our community here for the answer adn help!!
I reckon so.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:24 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fen
Dave Lindsey advised me. . .
Oh, here we go. . . .

Dave has advised me on a lot of things as well. Sometimes his advice worked out well, and other times it was dead wrong.

As for the trans mount, a lot of people have mixed feelings about this. IMO, if you can handle the spec stage 3 on the street, then you can handle a solid transaxle mount.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:32 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Jeff,

Just a question, because as much as we've talked I've never really asked you this, but what is your goal for the car? If you're going to stay content with it reasonably close to stock, or is this going to be a gonzo project I'm not supposed to mention next time I see your wife?

ie. If you're going to stay close to stock, I wouldn't see the need to even talk about some of the clutch options like a Spec stage 3.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Fen
Racer

Originally Posted by tedwright
Oh, here we go. . . .

Dave has advised me on a lot of things as well. Sometimes his advice worked out well, and other times it was dead wrong.

As for the trans mount, a lot of people have mixed feelings about this. IMO, if you can handle the spec stage 3 on the street, then you can handle a solid transaxle mount.
Hmm, I hear that.

I guess the trans mount is worth a try then. I don't want to downgrade the clutch, even without the costs involved, so something to calm the vibration might be the way to go.
Old 08-25-2005, 07:58 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh, here we go. . . .

I would highly recommend against having a solid transmount for a street car. I had it on and had Lindsey rip it right out. It was the one made by Koklen too. Unless you like alot of vibration and loud noise, I wouldn't get it. Sorry, but that's my two cents.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:05 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You had that with the spec stage 3, right Rob?

What do you have in there now, stock?

I have a solid mount sitting here in front of me waiting to be installed. I drove one car with a stock clutch that had the solid mount and it seemed fine, but maybe with the added grab from the stage 3 it is rough?

I will have to think twice about installing it. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:14 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ted, for a street application I'll stay away from engine and tranny solid mounts..
Old 08-25-2005, 08:21 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You had that with the spec stage 3, right Rob?

What do you have in there now, stock?

I have a solid mount sitting here in front of me waiting to be installed. I drove one car with a stock clutch that had the solid mount and it seemed fine, but maybe with the added grab from the stage 3 it is rough?

I will have to think twice about installing it. Thanks for the info.
I have the Spec Stage 3 now Ted. And as I said, I wouldn't put a solid transmount in a street car. A track car? Yes, but a street? No way. I originally had it in my car when Lindsey finished it. I drove the car for 3 hours and hated every minute of it. It made a whinning noise & vibrated when I would be down ****ing, coasting, and even just cruising too. And I was the one who wanted it in the beginning too. Lindsey didn't try and sell it to me. I had them rip that Kokeln thing out, and put a new factory one in. And it was a night and day difference. Thank God I did that!

Old 08-26-2005, 10:57 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Yep...as we discussed, I'm keeping her close to stock, with just some fun upgrades, chips, exhause maybe, etc. Nothing "gonzo" that we can't tell the wife...lol
Old 08-26-2005, 11:04 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by littlejt1
Yep...as we discussed, I'm keeping her close to stock, with just some fun upgrades, chips, exhause maybe, etc. Nothing "gonzo" that we can't tell the wife...lol
Yep. Call me tomorrow if you get to tearing into it. I think Jason and Jeff C are working on Jeff's Z in the AM, but maybe they'd come by later. I emailed Jeff about it and he sounded interested.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:51 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Hadn't heard from Jason about that...they working at his place or Jeffs? I'll give my bro-in-law a call later and see what's up. I think I hae to take the wife somewhere in the AM, so it might very well be afternoon or Sunday before I get to it. Ordered the clutch today (thanks John!)

Decided to go ahead with the SPEC Stage I, after all the PMs I got and other info, it sounds like a decent value, and no more "trouble" thank I hear with other clutch types.

We shall see...
Old 08-26-2005, 01:30 PM
stewardx
Instructor

As long as you don't plan on going past about 300 whp in the future, the stage 1 is
a good choice. If you do then you need a 2.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:52 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Stage 2 and 3 are a good choice if you like a high probability of chatter. Good advice.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:37 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NZ951
Stage 2 and 3 are a good choice if you like a high probability of chatter. Good advice.
Sonny , you have never ever seen a spec clutch , period. So whenever you actually USE one let us know of your findings , I heard , read or been told does not count.
On the other hand, I would never doubt your credentials when it comes to sheep.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the SPEC clutch installed???