Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sunroof-Never been removed and having trouble getting it off-whats the trick??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 PM
CurBrwn79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sunroof-Never been removed and having trouble getting it off-whats the trick??

Just sold a 993 and bought a DE/Track 944 Turbo S. Curious on how to get the sunroof off. I followed the instructions from the manual, and it simply states to open the sunroof, unlock the tabs, and push up...I dont think the sunroof has ever been removed, and it seems like it does want to move.. Whats the trick?

Last edited by CurBrwn79; 08-24-2005 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:39 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You sold your 993 to buy a 944?!?!

Just kidding.

To get the sunroof off, you need to put the key into the very first position. Then hold down the sunroof button for a few seconds. This will pull the arms out of the back of the roof. After that, flip those latches in the front and slide the roof out.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:29 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

What he said. The manual is very vague about this. Just don't forget if you put it back on to put those arms back in position or you could be in for a nasty suprise!
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 PM
schmedes1
Instructor

and... to add to Testarossa's important caution, I learned that the sunroof doesn't lock down properly if you hold the switch button down beyond the "fully retracted" point. The small arms will simply return to the position you used to take it out, so it takes a good touch and observation of the process.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:34 PM
CurBrwn79
Instructor

Thanks guys, Ill try it. Yea, it was hard selling the 993, but the 951 is solid and very impressive. It exceeded all of my expectations and handles like its on rails. For the money, there is nothing that can touch it..
Old 08-26-2005, 12:54 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, what these guys said. I had the same confusion when first trying to take mine off (manual is very vague). It helps to look at the arms (rear of the roof) while you're pushing the switch. You should only be able to retract the arms into the roof (i.e. to 'realease' the roof for taking it off) when the key is in the 1st position. Likewise, with the key in the 1st position, you should only be able to move the arms into the 'locked' position. With the key in the on position, the same switch will raise/lower the arms (i.e. raise/lower the sunroof).

BE CAREFUL, and I would suggest looking at the arms while your pushing on the switch. This is because if any of the micro-switches are bad, you are risking stripping gears or something else bad. Mine didn't work when I got the car. I replaced switches/gears/etc. and got it working, but when trying to retract the arms to take the roof off the motor will not stop on its own - I'm guessing one of the micro-switches is stil bad. I don't want to mess with it again for a while (other stuff needs fixin'), so I just watch the arms and stop pressing the button when they're retracted enough.

One other thing - if this is a track car you might want to find out if the roof still come out. A lot of guys strip out all of the sunroof stuff on their track cars to save weight. Let us know if you need any other help! Cheers!
Old 08-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Stefan
Racer

Congrats on your 951 ... hope it serves you well!

One other note in addition to the above, the sunroof rods should lock and close automatically if you put the roof back in and simply lock the car door with the key. They should also never retract beyond the edge of the roof. You should be able to safely hold the button down without the arms ever going too far.

Tips on removing/installing: I find it works best from the drivers side with the door open. Stand against the car and push the roof up a bit at the back from inside and then grasp it from the outside. Lift it up about 45degrees and then slide up and away from the front edge of the roof line. Re-install by positioning the farthest corner of the roof away from you onto the black wind shield first and sliding it on diagonally along the wind shield as opposed to straight on. Once you get the hang of it its not too bad, but I'd still prefer a 5 sec. power top

Quick Reply: Sunroof-Never been removed and having trouble getting it off-whats the trick??