Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crosspost...Powerhaus k27/6 for sale...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005 | 09:04 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Skip

I think I had esnipe at $360. Yeah, light fire damage. . . What would an engine fire possibly do to a turbocharger (this is an real question)?

DFastest:

Clipping a tubocharger refers to cutting a portion off each blade of the turbine (hotside) in effort to speed spoolup ( a little) but mostly to releave backpressure. Downside is lesser blade surface area for the exhaust to push against.

I suppose if it's clipped, you could just take the #6 turbine off a stocker and have a shop rebalance the RA. Clipping might work to ones advantage - I'm not convinced of that.
Old 08-20-2005 | 10:09 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Oh, that's right. Powerhaus calls it "shaving". That's one of their specialties. I would think it's a plus. They spend a pretty good penny to do it and match it up to their motors. It worked for mine so I'm convinced. The more I'm on here though, I'm seeing there are a ton of ways to get a lot of power out of these cars. Thanks for the clarification Matt...
Old 08-21-2005 | 12:34 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Hey Matt. That makes me feel a little better at least. I had a snipe set for $325 but I started second guessing myself that I should have put $350, so that fact that $350 wouldn't have gotten it makes it a little more palatable. I agree that fire should be able to do anything, but I am always a little paranoid about stuff like that so I didn't wan't to go to high. Oh well, I'll get my K27 sooner or later.
Old 08-21-2005 | 02:30 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Skip: Good news, I've heard someone is looking to sell one

You know Dave is a good tuner and I know all K27/6 convesions are not created equal. Perhaps his recipe is worth the extra coin. Dfast, I saw your car last year @ Ventura and it's the real deal - talked to him at some legth. He has prob. forgotten more than I will ever know about turbochargers and I am all for modification. If the KKK turbine can be improved measurably with machining, I'm interested in the discussion. I guess since I beleive in engineering degrees and their value at this level I have closed a door in my mind about it. I'm sure clipping makes sense on some applications. Especially since he is pushing that much displacement that the backpressure of a stock #6 turbine gets to be rediculous
Old 08-21-2005 | 10:49 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

holy ish! No offense bud, but $1500 for a K27!!! Shoulda saved the extra money and got a Vitesse Stage IV kit dayum.
Old 08-21-2005 | 09:12 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david fracolli
I made him an offer but never heard back
Like the title said...it was just a feeler ad....

David....your PM was..."I bought one last year that was about 2-3 months old for $650.00
Unforenutely though I sold it a few months ago.
I would be willing to offer the same price as I can but a brand new turbo for $900."

I didnt realize this was an offer to buy. Sorry. Thats why I didnt respond. Thought you were just trying to advise me on what I might expect to receive.

As for the turbo I think most people here dont really understand what modification Powerhaus has made to their turbos and therefore dont really understand the true worth of their turbo. Not saying it didnt cost too much but I see people throwing low numbers around talking about what they saw on EBay and what they bought used but you cant be sure how those turbos compare. You dont really know if the turbo you bought off EBay can perfom as good or better than the Powerhaus.

And Matt....its not a line...its the truth and mot people on the board here remember my post a few months back when we discussed in length on the K27/6 on a 2.8L...I can prove when I bought the turbo and I can prove the mileage on the car when it was purchased.....its not a line and I dont appreciate you insinuating that I am lying. So you think that $330 turbo you bought off EBay performs as good as the Powerhaus.....ok I cant prove that it cant but can you prove that it can? Probably not.
Old 08-21-2005 | 11:10 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the compliment Matt. Where was I? I would have liked to meet you...
Old 08-22-2005 | 12:40 AM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dfast:

I should like to have met you too. I was only there on Sunday and I know from your email that Sunday you were not planning to be there. Like I said, David is a knowledgeable guy and better, he wasnt trying to impress me with how his knowledge trumps all - A class act for sure. You keep good company! Are you comming out for Ventura this year? I am planning on going down for it.

Andial:

I figured I'd get blasted sooner or later by you - I suppose I deserve it too. Please understand that I was was not intending to cast doubt on your mileage claim or vendor source, simply that I dont like negotiations that start with "Make me an offer". Please forgive me for being "cheeky" with my comments.

As for the "fire-damaged" turbo I bought, yeah time will tell how well it performs. It might just be a core. But isnt it ironic that two list members found a used K27/6 worth about the same amount - within $40?
Old 08-22-2005 | 12:43 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

andial not trying to bust your ***** or anything, but i bought a powerhaus k27/8 two years ago for $600. it was well documented that the turbo had less than 3000 miles on it and that it was indeed a powerhaus turbo.
Old 08-22-2005 | 01:02 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Matt,

No problem. All is good. I wrote the feeler ad to try and figure out what the turbo was worth and it looks lik I have a good idea now. I was trying to see how much I could offset the cost of the Vittesse Stage IV setup. I was in an unfortunate circumstance where I had little time and less turbo knowledge and relied on the advice of a local Porsche shop.

Evryone else........no need to advise me on how the K27/6 is wrong for my 2.8.....that has been done to death already.
Old 08-22-2005 | 03:37 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Hey Matt, not going this year. Just can't get away this year. Maybe 944 fest next year? David is a good guy, very humble.
Old 08-22-2005 | 04:27 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

forgive my ignorance but whats in ventura?
Old 08-22-2005 | 06:12 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

German Auto Fest...
Old 08-22-2005 | 11:27 AM
RK951
Rennlist Member

when is it and do many 951 owners make it?
Old 08-22-2005 | 02:51 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Matt-
What are you going to do with that k27 #6?

Quick Reply: Crosspost...Powerhaus k27/6 for sale...