Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weltmeister control arm bushings

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weltmeister control arm bushings

I'm about to restore the bushings of the control arms of my car.. For the rear bushing I'm going to use the updated porsche article (the one from the 968 with less rubber), but for the front I'm thinking of using the bushing from weltmeister. I've found it on paragon products homepage;

http://www.paragon-products.com/prod...lt_pb-1030.htm

It says the package contains a set of 4 bushings.. Is that enough for both control arms or do I have to buy two sets?

Also, should I also change the balljoint of the control arm now that I'm doing everything else? That part should be available throguh porsche, right?

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
If you plan to use the car on the track or for spirited driving, I would highly recommend avoiding the weltmeisters. I would look into Elephant racing's spherical bearings for the aluminum control arms. My car currently has the welts, and they're coming out over the winter to be replaced with either aftermarket control arms or the ERP units. Driving a car with the ERP units vs. one with the Welts is a night and day difference. The cost is totally worth it.

The welts will degrade, rather quickly.

-J
Old 08-16-2005, 01:25 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the balljoints, Porsche doesnt sell them they sell you the entire control arm (For a pretty penny too).

www.rennbay.com has balljoints. I have the track kit.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

The weltmeisters are that bad huh? I looked at the elephant racing's bearings and apart from the price tag they looked kinda interesting.. I've read that the car will screetch and stuff when you use steelbushings like those, is that true? Also, what makes those better than making your own bushings out of steel or something?

I also checked the balljoints on rennbay - since I really haven't noticed any problems with the ball-joints I thought maybe the economy kit would be apropriate... I'm really only taking the chance of refurbishing them while I have the control arm detached anyway...

Thank you for the tips!
Old 08-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim,
The ERP units aren't steel bushings, they're spherical bearings that allow for friction free movement of the arm.

My friend has these on his car and there is no additional noise.

-Jon
Old 08-18-2005, 03:39 AM
Fen
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By contrast my Weltmeister rear bushes are *really* noisy when they get warm. I didn't know about the Elephant ones when I bought mine but I do now and I expect I'll switch over to them at some point if the Weltmeister ones don't last well. At least the Weltmeister ones are cheap I guess.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:01 PM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to consider going with Delrin (nylon family) bushings for you A-arms. I have them up front on my 83' and like the alot. No noises, sporty ride, and free moving.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:44 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If you do go with the welts, they need to be replaced about once per year if you track it or autocross it. For regular street driving they do fine, will last about 2-3 years. (I am going with spherical bearings though on my new a-arms). The welts do tighten things up verses old stock bushings.

Important tip on installing the welts: The instructions that come with them do not mention that you need to COMPLETELY remove the steel sleeve that the old black rubber bushings are in. It's a common mistake when people are installing them, that they just clean out all of the old black rubber bushing and try to fit the new red welt into the sleeve. Won't fit, too tight. Sleeve has to come out.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:10 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And getting the sleeves out is a freaking bitch and a half and then some
Old 08-19-2005, 09:12 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
And getting the sleeves out is a freaking bitch and a half and then some
I would probably have to give it a rating of 3 bitches, myself. Maybe even 4.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Swedish Meatball
Instructor

Thanks guys, it feels like I should go for something else than the welts after hearing your thoughts! I really don't feel like taking the a-arm apart every year since I'll track the car now and then I guess I'll have a second look at the Elephant racing's spherical bearings Jon mentioned.

Quick Reply: Weltmeister control arm bushings