Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Honda S2000 as Porsche 951 replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Ryan in SD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2
The s2k is claustrophobic too with the top up. With the top down my head goes above the windshield. I'm 6' 1". I can't drive the miata or ride in one with the top up hehe.
Hey, your rage2...I saw your videos and stuff yesterday. DAMN nice car man.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The S is known for having one of the best chassis's out there. It is extremely stiff and virtually no flex. The body panels are thin and light. I am 6'6" and have no problem fitting in it, the car is deffenetly not a rip off. It won't break unless you realy beat on it.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:06 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

I've never driven an S2K that I didn't love. Great cars. True sports car in the british sense. Convertible, rear wheel drive, great manual gearbox, lightweight, etc.

It may not have the power of some others but it's a very pure driving experience. So much more to it than just mashing the go pedal.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:17 PM
Holson
Instructor

Maybe the 951 got upset that I am thinking of replacing it but somehow the battery drained to low levels and this morning it barely cranked, but luckily it started.

Cranked sooo slowly. Oh boy, almost didn't make it to work.

I think I need to drive the S2000 first.

I don't like the 350Z/G35 that much, and definitely not the Evo/STi (maybe the Legacy 2.5GT, but that's expensive)
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 PM
sca037
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Edmunds Residual Values

We purchased our used '00 model last year, and we're buy-and-hold kinda people (never considered leasing.....just not wired that way I guess ;^J )
Having said that, here's another data point to consider:

Excerpt from a recent report on Edmunds.com :
Top 10 Cars With the Best Residual Value for 2004

Want to buy a car that really holds its value? ........Below we show the percentage of its original value that each vehicle is likely to retain after five years with an annual mileage of 15,000. .....quick scan of our list shows that import nameplates rule when it comes to retaining their value.....

Porsche 911 — 57%

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class — 53%

Acura NSX — 52%
Dodge Viper
Honda S2000
Mini Cooper

BMW Z4 — 51%
Nissan 350Z

BMW M3 — 50%

<other 5 omitted>

If nothing else, as a lease car you won't have to worry about going upside-down with it as much as some others ....especially at the favorable deals the S2000's are rolling off the lots with currently.
Also, it's best to drive a well broken in model (they're supposed to go 600 miles 100% under the VTEC threshold) to get a fair baseline, so if the chance to drive a mechanically identical '04 comes up then by all means give it a good workout

Brian
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Stefan
Racer

Originally Posted by sca037
We purchased our used '00 model last year, and we're buy-and-hold kinda people (never considered leasing.....just not wired that way I guess ;^J )
Having said that, here's another data point to consider:

Excerpt from a recent report on Edmunds.com :
Top 10 Cars With the Best Residual Value for 2004

Want to buy a car that really holds its value? ........Below we show the percentage of its original value that each vehicle is likely to retain after five years with an annual mileage of 15,000. .....quick scan of our list shows that import nameplates rule when it comes to retaining their value.....

Porsche 911 — 57%

Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class — 53%

Acura NSX — 52%
Dodge Viper
Honda S2000
Mini Cooper

BMW Z4 — 51%
Nissan 350Z

BMW M3 — 50%

<other 5 omitted>

Brian
True, BUT ... 57% of a 911 is still a large chunk of $$$ lost in 5 years. Not exactly a good investment It would be interesting to see the same stats in $$ instead of percent. Also adding in cost of maintenance and insurance

Stefan.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:21 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

After moving to oz from Houston, I got me a 2001 S2000. After having run heavily modded 951 (two of them) and numerous other Porkers I was surprised at how much I likethis car. Being my first Honda it was a bit of a 'leap of faith' but I don't regret it at all.

First, the chassis is very well designed. It feels like it the most rigid open top car I have been in by far. One thing that has pissed me off with other roadsters is scuttle shake. This car has none, seriously. Its can feel a little skitish and the back end can get out if your not careful.

Next the tranny is like a rifle bolt, no joke, it thows about 4" and snicks into gear with a nice feel.

The motor, like mentioned above, revs like ****. Its pretty dead below 6000rpm. Dead like a miata or golf GTi, not bad but nothing to get excited about. At 6000rpm it get crazy, changes tone and feels like a different motor. Running it to 9000rpm is addictive and fun, but you have to choose you time and place otherwise you can end up looking like a bit of a dick screeming down your neighbours street.

However, on an open road, using the close ratio 6 speed box to keep it on cam is sports car karma...brilliant. My mate with a crotch rocket calls it a sports bike on 4 wheels, it is very involving when your working it hard.

Build quality is generally good. I thought I would hate the digital dash but its ok (ish).

The only thing I worry about is the rear ends are week with a lot of people breaking diffs. To get off the line most owners do a 7000rpm clutch drop which usually end up breaking stuff. A lot of the early tranny's have bad synchro that crunch. They are not drag cars and are crap off the line and clutch drops are a bad idea.

I am very glad I picked one over a Miata or Z3. Would have liked a Boxster S but the cost diff between it and the S2000 are huge and I could not justify the extra.

I think the S2000 can be more fun than most other roadsters if you are prepared to live with its shortcomings and enjoy its 'unique' engine and the 'raw' driving experience it offers, its definately not good in the comfort and gadget stakes like the beemers and porkers. Also, iIf you don't open it up every now and then you can start having doubts about how fast the car is, but stand on it through the gears and it everything makes sense. Not really readily useable power, but its really fun wringing it out. All in all, a great sunday cruiser or back road blazer, pick your mood.

I am looking into a few turbo kits that run low boost on stock compression. The net results are about 340rwhp and peak boost ~7psi at less than 3000rpm, with a ballistic power curve out to 9000rpm. Cost about 7 grand all in plus driveline mods (clutch as a minimum).

Boy, I do miss my 951S though....
Old 08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Give me a few months to put together the first turbo kit for my cousin's S2K... once that's done, I'll be able to put together much more affordable kits for S2K's complete with standalone and a base map.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:28 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Rage: I haven't seen your car around lately. I was kind of hoping to see it at the import nights event on Saturday. I figured you should be able to beat the top car of the night at the strip (red 300 ZX). What's up?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:08 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I was outta town picking up the S2000. That and I need my turbo seals redone, my car's been parked for about 3 weeks now waiting for Marc to rip out the turbo so I can send it to Alamo. He's been busy. The seals went because I didn't use a restrictor so it likes to smoke when I'm not on boost.

Wanna rip the turbo out for me?

I seriously doubt I can beat z_fan's time regardless. MPH maybe I can match it, but definately won't be able to launch like him on slicks with our drivetrain. He's waiting on me to run his 300 too hehe. Once it's fixed up I'll probably be doing more drifting than dragging. Way more fun!
Old 08-22-2005, 07:24 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Rip out the turbo eh? Been there, done that and really don't look forward to ever doing it again. Unless I go with a 3.0 and a Vitesse Stage 4 I think he ran mid 12's which would put him square in your neck of the woods. It would have made for an interesting race.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:35 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
Rip out the turbo eh? Been there, done that and really don't look forward to ever doing it again. Unless I go with a 3.0 and a Vitesse Stage 4 I think he ran mid 12's which would put him square in your neck of the woods. It would have made for an interesting race.
hehe z_fan runs mid-low 11's . He's about 1-2mph faster than me on pump gas, but this was before my timing map was properly tweaked.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:44 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rage2
Give me a few months to put together the first turbo kit for my cousin's S2K... once that's done, I'll be able to put together much more affordable kits for S2K's complete with standalone and a base map.
I'll be waiting

If its anything like the Lovefab kit for the SK2 for less money you'll be onto a winner. They must make one of the best manifolds I have seen and it comes with an AEM EMS with a base map. Costs ~6 large.

http://www.lovefabinc.com/index.php?...63844c4dcf1099

Keep me posted on your kit. Cheers.

Quick Reply: Honda S2000 as Porsche 951 replacement?