Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Regarding the cushion lined hose clamps in our cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 04:15 AM
z3bra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Regarding the cushion lined hose clamps in our cars

Just a tip here if you need to get replacement lined hose clamps (aka Adel clamps).

Find an aircraft parts supply place and buy them there instead of the ones at hardware stores.

The price is within a few cents of the hardware store variety, but the difference in quality is night and day. The hardware store clamps are soft steel and once you bend them into place they stay there, the aircraft type are springy and much stronger metal. On my car I had replaced the one for the oil cooler line that mounts on the bottom of the casting that the power steering pump mounts to with one sourced from Home Depot. Just tightening it down tweaked the metal part of the clamp to where it was lined up funky. The aircraft clamp I replaced it with on the other hand is solid as a rock once the bolt is tightened down.

Also, the aircraft clamps have a wedge on the rubber cushion that keeps the hose centered better in the loop of the clamp.

The big manufacturer for the aircraft clamps is Umpco. www.umpco.com Go and take a look at their site as to the variety of clamps offered such as teflon cushioned.

The only catch is that the umpco clamps typically have a #10 size hole for the fastener so you need to drill it out to fit a 6mm fastener. I can live with that for the difference in quality.

I'll never buy them at the hardware store again considering they're essentially the same price for the good ones.

Just figured I'd pass it along as this type of part could be the difference between something like the oil cooler lines rubbing on metal to the point of dumping your oil in the middle of nowhere and a nice trouble free drive.

Quick Reply: Regarding the cushion lined hose clamps in our cars