Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost maxes out at 5 PSI, no apparent leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 07:50 PM
ZV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost maxes out at 5 PSI, no apparent leaks.

Took the 951 out for a nice spin today and it seemed a lot smoother than usual, which was odd since there's usually a "rocket ship" effect at about 3,000 RPM, so I started watching the guages even more than usual and my mechanical boost guage never reads more than 5 PSI. I was seeing 14-15 PSI last week.

I do not have the CV installed and I've checked that the Relia-Boost isn't doing anything strange. From what I understand, this is exactly what would happen if the car had the stock CV and went into overboost, but that shouldn't be possible. All the hoses are good, I've checked the rubber and the hose clamps. Is it possible for the wastegate to get stuck open or something like that?

Aaron
Old 08-13-2005, 10:42 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Either the computer has gone into "limp" mode or real bad leak somewhere. Maybe WG as well.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:49 PM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by toddk911
Either the computer has gone into "limp" mode or real bad leak somewhere. Maybe WG as well.
Can't go into "limp" mode, no CV to control. The KLR is only on knock-sensor and ignition timing duty with the relia-boost and the Guru chips. I'm gonna pull out the reliab-boost, take it apart, and make sure the whole thing is clean and sealing well, then test-drive again. Hopefully I just overlooked something the last time.

Aaron
Old 08-14-2005, 12:33 AM
Rip It
Rennlist Member

don't forget to check your bov
Old 08-14-2005, 01:22 AM
ZV
Racer

Either angels fixed my car or there was something that I didn't see at all in the relia-boost. Saw nothing weird when I took it apart to clean it but damned if everything doesn't work perfectly now. All 15 PSI now.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:32 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check for blink codes - "safe" mode will be 1.2 bar indicated and could mean anything (maybe the TPS sensor is partially unplugged?)
Old 08-14-2005, 02:52 AM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Check for blink codes - "safe" mode will be 1.2 bar indicated and could mean anything (maybe the TPS sensor is partially unplugged?)
Since I don't have the CV and I have an MBC (Relia-Boost) it can only mean one of three things: Diverter Valve failure, pressure leak somewhere in the seemingly miles of hoses, or an open MBC that's passing pressure straight through to the wastegate and causing it to stay open. In this case, it seems to have been the last one, fixed by cleaning the MBC.

She's good now though!

Next step: Tires. RE750's seem to be scarce where I am...

Quick Reply: Boost maxes out at 5 PSI, no apparent leaks.