Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wheel siezed to hub - sorry non Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel siezed to hub - sorry non Porsche

Went to take off my front wheel on my E36 BMW tonight and couldn't get it off. The chumley tire guy at Costco apparently didn't put any antisieze on the hub and the wheel corroded to the hub. I kicked and beat on the wheel as much as I could without damaging the rim. Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,
Old 08-12-2005, 10:30 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a rubber hammer and hit the inside of the tire. Make sure you only hit the tire as it's very easy to bend factory E36 wheels. This has worked everytime except on my Range Rover. I hesitate to say how I got that wheel off....ok here goes;

First off DO NOT ever do this. I pounded on the inside of that tire until I thought my arm was going to fall of, it didn't budge. So out of pure annoyance I put the lugs back on loosely, dropped the Rover back on the ground, and started it up. With my foot on the brake I gave it a tap on the gas. It still didn't move so I put the trans in low 1st. I tapped the gas just enough to make the wheel a tiny bit off center. Jacked it back up, pulled the lugs off and the wheel nicely came off.

I know it sounds bad but I was lucky and it worked.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

The easy way is to losen the lug bolts, then take the car out for a slow drive... weave violently back and forth. The wheel will come free, and even if your lug bolts are only half or one turn loose, it will fell like the wheel is about to fall off!

Just drive slowely back to the garage, and you're all set.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:47 AM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Van
The easy way is to losen the lug bolts, then take the car out for a slow drive... weave violently back and forth. The wheel will come free, and even if your lug bolts are only half or one turn loose, it will fell like the wheel is about to fall off!

Just drive slowely back to the garage, and you're all set.
This did the trick.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Wheel siezed to hub - sorry non Porsche