Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno results

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 10:00 AM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, I still don't owe you dinner. Now, I just need to hope that you don't sort out that missing.

Nice numbers.

-Jon
Old 08-12-2005, 10:07 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"(if I was able to keep spark through the rev range. . .) "

Spark getting blown out??

Try smaller gap or MSD.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 AM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ted,
Work out those few bugs and put on the new turbo and turbo back exhaust and you'll do a bit of 400hp. Cool stuff, keep us updated.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"I also did a run at 14.5 psi, just to get a comparison. I made 317.5 hp at 6150rpms and 309 ft/lb TQ at around 4700. (notice the misfire is not as severe under lower boost)"

So 9 more psi and 60 more tq. I would say there wasn't much more to be had after 6 more psi, as it seems the gains (misfire issues not withstanding) in the tq. rolled off after that.

Also, under the lower boost and no misfire certainly shows the need for higher capacity ignition/coil or just lower the gap as the spark is getting "blown out". just my .02

Great numbers by the way!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:23 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"For each run the ONLY change was done with the MBC. The A/F stayed dead straight from a run of 9 psi to the run of 23.5. The ONLY thing I touched was the boost controller. "

So you jsut turned up the boost, and the fuel automatically adjusted??
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have seen the tial 38mm with the 0.8bar spring fluctuates a lot, causing similar jumps in the curve. However this may not be the cause for the "waves" in the chart.
As I always stated, the "old Stage 2" maxes out around 400-410rwhp (DynoJet). So at the higher boost level, the turbo was reaching its limit. Now the New Stage 2 turbo is a different story!

ToddK911, Yes with the proper MAF and proper transfer function & software you set and forget.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by toddk911
So you jsut turned up the boost, and the fuel automatically adjusted??
That is right! My AFR stayed EXACTLY the same for all of the runs without touching anything. The MAF does all the work, all you do is crank up the boost.

Right now I have the MSD system, but may be dumping that for a WS setup. The plugs in the car were TOTALLY wrong. I did not remember to switch them out before the run. (The plug I was using was a heat range too hot and platinum.)

Chris, maybe ST will upload a portion of the wideband datalog. There is little that could be done to improve the AFR.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:10 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lately, we have seen few stock fuel pumps failing. After heavy use, they heat up and no longer supply adeqaute flow. That was the case of the S3 on the dyno, the car was running fine (dyno & track), then it started to run lean.
We now offer high flow fuel pumps.. The pumps will support 700+rwhp. Will be posted soon.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tedwright
Chris, maybe ST will upload a portion of the wideband datalog. There is little that could be done to improve the AFR.
I wasn’t really thinking AFR, it looks like either cam timing or a mismatch between turbo and cam (or possibly a misbehaving wastegate). Can you plot the boost curve with the torque curve (Mustang Dynos should be able to plot up to 4 data curves pre plot).

Even mondo turbos should be close to their torque peak by 4k rpm, yours is still building power.

The dyno software can be set to filter out the ‘waves’. If you were to plot the raw data you usually see lots of spikes, its just the nature of how the measurements are taken.

Chris White
Old 08-12-2005, 01:04 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AFR was slightly conservative - 12.1 at redline, but it was flatter than Debra Messing all the way up.

Something tells me he will be over 410 next time, with stock head.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:13 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Chris White
I wasn’t really thinking AFR, it looks like either cam timing or a mismatch between turbo and cam (or possibly a misbehaving wastegate). Can you plot the boost curve with the torque curve (Mustang Dynos should be able to plot up to 4 data curves pre plot).

Even mondo turbos should be close to their torque peak by 4k rpm, yours is still building power.

The dyno software can be set to filter out the ‘waves’. If you were to plot the raw data you usually see lots of spikes, its just the nature of how the measurements are taken.

Chris White
Chris,

We didn't log boost. I don't think this shop had a boost sensor. We plan on picking up a boost sensor for the zeitronix so we can log it next time. I did however have my eye on the boost gauge the entire time, and it held strong. The only fluttering in the needle I could see was on the high boost run and I am confident that was the diverter valve leaking off boost. It should NOT however do it on the lower boost runs. We did a 9psi run just to see what would happen with the curve and it still did the same thing. I guess it could be something to do with the wastegate. (It is an almost brand new 38mm tial, though.)
Old 08-12-2005, 01:18 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ted, now that I had a minute to really examine the chart... Chris W. has a valid pointe, something does not look correct.

Around 3200RPM your torque drops sharply and does not recover.. DOUBLE check your WG and BOV.
Next time start your run at 2400rpm...

Quick Reply: Dyno results