Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Strange trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005 | 04:25 AM
pcarphanatik
Pro

Default Strange trans issue

Well I hope someone has a fix to this problem because its got me stumped.

Shifting is reasonably smooth and normal through all the gears. The issue I have is that if I put the car in third gear and release the clutch the trans engages, but doesn't lock into third. I can nudge the shifter and it will pull into neutral.

Awhile back I thought that the trans was actually "popping" out of third because it would do this to me while driving in third gear every so often. Tonight I did several tests and found that it just doesn't really get stuck in there no matter where I move the shifter. All my other gears are fine and lock in when the clutch is released.

The trans has lsd, 115K on it and the fluid was changed about 3mths back....any idea on what I am looking at here???
Old 08-10-2005 | 07:53 AM
944Ecology
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Worn out third gear selection parts (time for a rebuild).

gb
Old 08-10-2005 | 12:39 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Likely either the 3 locking lugs inside the 3rd/4th gear selection hub assembly, or the 3th/4th gear selector fork lockout detent.

I had the selector fork lockout detent stick, and the trans would pop out of 3rd gear into neutral on its own, as soon as I pushed the clutch in. But it would always stay in 3rd gear when under load.

This is all internal to the trans, and you would have to open it up to check/fix.

I dont think this sounds like your problem, but I would always check the external shift linkage to make sure you dont have a problem there first.
Old 08-10-2005 | 06:45 PM
pcarphanatik
Pro

Originally Posted by 944Ecology
Worn out third gear selection parts (time for a rebuild).

gb

Or the classifieds...sheesh there are quite a few reasonable mileage trans up for sale right now.

How does fitament work through the different year models?

Quick Reply: Strange trans issue