Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

topspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Anyone done "highspeed" or "on the car" alignments/balance ?

Does an "on the car" wheel balance exist? I've heard it mentioned, but never seen it offered anywhere. Until I find a competent shop to balance my wheels, I'm not shooting for a top speed.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:37 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
278km = 173 ????
With 16" wheels and tires it's fairly easy to accomplish. The speedo shows 294. Not sure if stock could do it, I had the autothority kit when I hit 294 which with speedo error is around 279km/h (174mph). When I hit that speed I thought I broke something, the car went into limp mode (0.2bar boost max) and it was like slamming on the brakes! Also, with the lights flipped up, I could not hit that speed. Shows how important aerodynamics are at that speed!

My 303km/h (189mph) run was done with a T04E and 7000rpm redline with 18" wheels. That was fairly scary. The car's not very stable at that speed.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:21 AM
EdC
Pro

Even if your speedo isn't accurate, that is no defense in court. The fact that you thought you weren't speeding doesn't change the fact that you were, especially if you got caught on radar. And if your speedo was dead accurate, experience has shown me that your creditabilty on testimony you weren't speeding is zero.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:38 AM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EdC
Even if your speedo isn't accurate, that is no defense in court. The fact that you thought you weren't speeding doesn't change the fact that you were, especially if you got caught on radar. And if your speedo was dead accurate, experience has shown me that your creditabilty on testimony you weren't speeding is zero.
If you get your speedo checked and it's not accurate, we get our tickets dropped from speeding to a faulty equipment ticket, which doesn't carry any demerits or does it show up on insurance abstracts. It's like a plea bargain. How else do you think I still have my license? I got clocked years ago at 230km/h (about 145mph) and got off with a $700 ticket hehe. I was nice to the cop when he wrote up the ticket and he even knocked it down to 200km/h!

Speeding tickets is all about the money here.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:50 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EdC
actually i have been sitting in the courtroom when someone was "let off" because of an improperly calibrated speedometer that told him he was going slower than he actually was. it was not applicable in my case because the speedometer said i was going faster than i actually was.
Old 08-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
Does an "on the car" wheel balance exist?
Yes it does, it's sometimes the only way to balance out bulky tires like on off-roaders and large trucks.

Sam
Old 08-09-2005, 12:04 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
Does an "on the car" wheel balance exist? I've heard it mentioned, but never seen it offered anywhere. Until I find a competent shop to balance my wheels, I'm not shooting for a top speed.
Availabe at the local Pirelli dealer here.

Got 268kpr at 6,200rpms, still had room, but i don't push it and that was a 'i wonder how fast it goes' thing.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:41 PM
EdC
Pro

Rage: In NY if caught you'd be in jail for that speed, and not have a license. And if there was any road traffic I suspect you'd also be facing crininal charges rather than just traffic violation. In NY your inaccurate knowledge of your actual speed is not a defense, but if the judge is looking for a reason to "move" cases it is as good a resaon as any. My frame of reference is from being a former ***'t DA and now criminal defense atty. As an ADA I would reduce any routine speed ticket if you asked. Surprizingly not many even asked. I couldn't imagine any Judge I have been in front of here in NY would consent to a reduction of a 145 mph ticket. That would have been a "keeper".

On balancing wheels, from experience the Cup Porsche wheels will nor retain clip weights. The adhesive tape style weights inside the wheel must be used. Yes there are some shops that have on-the-car balancing units. I have never found it necessary up to the 135ish I've gone, as the wheel-spinning type worked fine. Are you sure that your wheel and/or tire is not out round? Brake disks checked for trueness? I'd suspect a tire problem. One with the tire cords may be failing so as not to be round anymore at speed.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:19 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I would've made the news . Here, they don't care much, just want revenue.
Old 08-09-2005, 05:57 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by shaheed
actually i have been sitting in the courtroom when someone was "let off" because of an improperly calibrated speedometer that told him he was going slower than he actually was. it was not applicable in my case because the speedometer said i was going faster than i actually was.
I had the exact same problem. Did you consider getting some used tires with a really tall sidewall and getting it re-tested? Not saying that is what I did but it can get you a few mph difference if that is what you need.
Old 08-09-2005, 07:49 PM
ldt1
Instructor

fast as you need to go
Old 08-10-2005, 01:05 AM
shaheed
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SoloRacer
I had the exact same problem. Did you consider getting some used tires with a really tall sidewall and getting it re-tested? Not saying that is what I did but it can get you a few mph difference if that is what you need.
hehe the place that i took it to notes the tire size on the report, so i didn't bother. this was a long time ago btw, around 1999 if i remember correctly, i've learned to be smarter when driving the cop magnet now.
Old 08-10-2005, 02:08 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, Rage!,
I didn't think anybody, here, would've got caught going faster than me, which was 194 km/h (and he didn't drop it down). On the side of the road, the officer made some sort of comment about me being his biggest fish ever. I felt like telling him that he only caught me because I slowed down, pulled over, and waited for him. And that's the way it was! It was in the middle of the night, lit up major highway, and nobody else on the road. The next exit was just coming up; I should have taken it and disappeared. It took him forever to come out of his hiding hole (I saw him way too late) and come after me. I think he was contemplating if he should even bother; but then I slowed down.

Same as you, Rage. Settled for 700 bucks!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 AM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW,
I recently checked my euro-speedos (both the S2 and the Turbo) against the km-markings on the motorway. Both timing and marker positions are pretty accurate as I can get reproducible measurements for several consecutive runs to within 1 or 2 tenths of a second (over 20 - 30s).
Both cars have nearly identical numbers, although the S2 tires are 1/2 worn while the Turbo tires are new.
For a real speed of 60 km/h, I need to go 67 km/h indicated
80 real = 88 indicated
100 real = 108 indicated
120 real = 129 indicated
140 real = 151 indicated
160 real = 173 indicated
180 real = 195 indicated

Then I had to stop - too much traffic

I've had the S2 up to 260 indicated once, so this should be very close to the factory figure of 240 km/h.

Tommy
Old 08-19-2005, 01:07 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Heck, just tell them you made 170 by your speedo and that your speedo reads up to 180. Who cares about the error percentage considering most speedos don't read over 85 or 100 anyway. Most should be impressed that your speedo goes that high whether the car can do it or not.

Quick Reply: topspeed?