Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A little bit of excrement agitation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005 | 10:24 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Default A little bit of excrement agitation

I DO NOT want to ressurect the whole IceShark deal, but this is on a similar topic.

At what point does "parting out" become a business ?

I don't think anyone would consider parting a single car to be a "commericial" venture, but what about when it gets to be more than one ?
Old 08-02-2005 | 11:14 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

i dont think anyone knows. i talked with john a little bit and the impression that i got was that the rules are loose for instances such as this. there is a lot of grey area here, and that's why a lot of issues here are decided on a case-by-case basis. a lot of the rules set forth are also quite conflicting, and there is some missing uniformity. basically, do as your moderator says.

dan wray is now listed as a co-sponsor. whatever that means. regardless, it means he can go about his business again.
Old 08-02-2005 | 11:34 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

I wondered about this a bit.

If one guy parts out his own car, that is one thing. What's the harm in that?

If a guy is parting out 12 cars at once, however, and has obviously got a little cottage industry going on here, isn't that another thing? And wouldn't that encroach on a paying Rennlist Sponsor like Ian's (944online) that sells used parts?
Old 08-02-2005 | 12:16 PM
Fen
Racer

OT!

Tif - I see by your avatar that the interesting looking brake duct looks even better now. Where did you get it?
Old 08-02-2005 | 12:29 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fen
OT!

Tif - I see by your avatar that the interesting looking brake duct looks even better now. Where did you get it?
Hey Fen, how are things? I haven't been on the PCGB forum in awhile, I need to drop in.

I bought the set-up second-hand from an S2 racecar. The kit included the ducts, the hoses, and the backing plates to duct the air into the center of the S4 rotors. I was told they are made by OG Racing, but OG does not have this complete kit on their site and I have not seen many of them around. This pair were cut too small for the fogs opening, I have about 5 hours into them now adding material and re-shaping them. Right now they are in red-primer waiting for a final wetsand and red-putty filling before spraying in guards red.

Jeremy
Old 08-02-2005 | 12:39 PM
Fen
Racer

Yeah, I noticed you hadn't posted for a while.

Thanks for the info - they list the parts that make the kit, at least for my 89- Turbo S: http://www.ogracing.com/files/953COOLBRAKE.htm

It probably isn't worth shipping things like hose from the US anyway but I will talk to them about the ducts. Cheers!
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:04 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

At what point does "parting out" become a business ?

Easy, and right answer, When John says it is. I think the best bet for anyone would be too contact John first, and ask permission. In the couple of years I've been around, I can't think of one big stink ever raised by this method. I have seen the opposite turn into crap really fast, when a simple note too ask John would have taken 2 minutes. (Not unreasonable in my opinion...at all)
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:25 PM
eniac
Drifting

From what I noticed is that no one complains when used parts are being sold.....but try to sell something new, and often innovative, then people raise a big stink about it. I don't get it.

Either way I keep from even mentioning by company here even though it specializes in Porsches and BMW's. I hope my business affords to be a site sponsor in the future but until then I only sell my personal items here.

I think Rennlist should open it's own auction site just for members. You could offer anything, new or used, with or without site sponsor, for auction and Rennlist takes a cut of the sale amount. That way Rennlist makes money and members are able to sell new items not offered by sponsors (such as battery cables and new headlight designs).
Old 08-02-2005 | 07:28 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^^^^^hhhmmm. Not bad. Or charge a nominal fee for classifieds as well.

Quick Reply: A little bit of excrement agitation