Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electrical Charging System Problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 04:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by PEvans
I should have added that also new is loud high-pitched RF noise when I go under a bridge with the radio on. I can connect a meter as Tom suggests. My thought is the alternator is gradually failing. I have read here for years about the Nissan mod, and I guess Bosch rebuilds are not what they once were. It's a thought, but I guess it is not trouble free either.

The Nissan alternator mod is great. I did it and love it. It is a pain to grind down everything to fit, however, so if you don't have a bigger aftermarket turbo (or plan to install one), I'd be inclined to get the best rebuilt available and keep it stock.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:32 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
If the shop thinks the charging system is working ok (???) then I'd be inclined to attach a volt meter directly to the battery and monitor it in the car as you drive to see if it and the gauge match. If they do, then I'd say your shop is wrong. If the volt meter shows that the voltage is actually remaining strong, despite the gauge, then I'd look into the gauge, its grounds, football connectors, etc.
So to update, I rigged a voltmeter on the accessory adapter inside the car. The dash gauge isn't all that accurate compared to the voltmeter, but I do read voltage above the-car off voltage nearly all the time on both the voltmeter and the dash gauge.

The charging system light and the central alert lights do come on when the headlights are on, the engine under load, and RPMs go over about 3000. The voltmeter voltage also dips by about 0.4V when those lights come on.

Occasionally at idle with the headlights on the voltmeter voltage will dip below the background voltage and below 12V on the dash gauge; however, the the warning lights do not come on.

There is pretty good RF noise seemingly traceable to the alternator (using a radio with a directional antenna), but no measurable AC voltage at the battery.

So my question at the moment is why those indicator lights come on when it seems they shouldn't but don't when it seems they should.

It is possible to conclude so far (I think) that the charging system is still OK. I have no real hesitance to replace the alternator, but I would like to believe I am fixing the actual problem.

Quick Reply: Electrical Charging System Problem