Killed the turbo last night

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Evan70
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRP951
time for a upgrade why go K26/8 when there are turbos so much better
The problem right now is cost, this comes at a very bad time budget wise. If it had been a couple of months from now, or a few months earlier I would have upgraded to something bigger without hesitation.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 AM
Holson
Instructor

What mine looked like...

I attempted the turbo job myself... http://24.60.114.248:2000/fixits/
Gave up and paid Randolph Racing to put it back together.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:17 PM
Evan70
Pro

Well, I got all the way down to removing the turbo yesterday, and now I'm tempted to send it out for that part. Sprayed all the nuts liberally with rust blaster, tapped them good with a punch to "wake them up", and still the second one I tried to remove snapped the stud. I've got a pretty good general auto repair place right down the street, and I may just pull the car up ther and let them remove it and install the new one, then pull it home and put it back together myself. I'd really rather do it all myself, but it may just not be worth the pain. Of course, I've probably got a couple of days before I can get a replacement turbo anyway, so that gives me some time to play with it some more. Luckily the stud that broke off is in the turbo, but I worry about snapping a more critical one (unless all the ones that are left are in the turbo?).

On the turbo search, I may have found a K27/6 on Ebay, but John says I'll need new chips and injectors for it. The seller thinks he has the chips for it still, but I'm not sure whether he was running larger injectors or not. I guess I could always figure out a reduced boost level to run at (dyno tuning w/wideband) until I could afford the bigger injectors... Any thoughts?
Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 PM
d993
Racer

Now's your chance, do an upgrade.
If changing a turbo on a 951 was a 20 minute job like on SOME cars, then things would be different.
I just sold my K26/8, which probably spools the same as one of John's turbos, while making much less maximum power.
Old 08-01-2005, 01:27 PM
eniac
Drifting

If changing a turbo on a 951 was a 20 minute job like on SOME cars
Mine's not much over 20 minutes....well about an hour actually because I've changed the turbo 5 times. Twice the center nut/cone came off.

Stock turbo: nut came off
Huntley T04B: nut came off
Huntley T04E: Turned into a grenade, cold housing split in half!
Garret Hydrid 60-1 Turbo #1: Bad oil seals, they replaced the seals but didn't replace the bearings which led to the next install...
Garret Hydrid 60-1 Turbo #2: Worn bearings from the bad oil seals.
Majestic Turbo 60-1 HiFi : Been great for the past year. I highly recommend Majestic.

Quick Reply: Killed the turbo last night