Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Of cylinder heads and props. (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 02:32 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Default Of cylinder heads and props. (with pics)

Great big props to Mike and Sam who came out to help, watch, and loan me heir florr jacks. Without their assistance, I'd be drunk, pissed off, and still trying to get it done.

I finished pulling the cylinder head and amazed and how easy it really was. With some good documentation (factory manuals and Clark's Garage), a little help from someone experienced, and just a little mechanical ability, just about anyone can do this. The more I learn about working on this car, the more I realize that it won't be that expensive to own for a very long time. I highly recommend learning to wrench it yourself.

On to the progress report:

After Mike and Sam left yesterday, the only thing left to do was remove the exhaust manifold nuts and disconnect it from the cross-over pipe. I did that this morning with my wife helping by holding the wrench on the exhaust pipe nut while I loosened them from the top. She insisted that I let all of Rennlist know that she helped! .

The head gasket is definately bad. It was leaking on the passenger side of the #4 cylinder. I'm not sure how a leakdown or compression test would turn out as the metal ring is intact. There is some blowby visible on the #4 piston. Apparently the leak was very minor as there is very little evidence of steam cleaning.

In this image, I have circled the area of the piston that was cleaned from the steam and pointed to the locations of the leak.

Here is a close up of the leak:

And the underside of the head gasket:

And just for grins, a picture of the family:

Old 07-31-2005, 02:41 PM
hansman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little too much boost eh?!
I have seen that several times. It appears to be a regular head gasket. Go with a wide fire & clean the tops of the cylinder, pistons, & send your head out for a small shave. This will ensure you get a proper seal on the new hg.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:48 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daniel: Good work, the cylinder walls look very good there as well. Just remember to set piston #1 at TDC before putting the cylinder head back on.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:55 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I was surprised at how good the walls are. Zero scoring.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:42 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Is this normal for the valves? I have 3 white exhaust valves while one is dark (same cylinder as the leak).

Old 07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that head does not look to bad. If you really wanted it to be nice just take the valves out and use a wire brush to clean them and You will be suprised at the gain you will get .
Old 07-31-2005, 04:05 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I'm real happy with the condition of the head and cylinder walls after 150k miles.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:13 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to hear the head came off easily after I left. I know I didn't do much, but if you want more "help" anytime, put out the word. You made your poor (injured) wife help? That's abuse!
Old 07-31-2005, 05:20 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
Good to hear the head came off easily after I left. I know I didn't do much, but if you want more "help" anytime, put out the word. You made your poor (injured) wife help? That's abuse!

Spend 10 minutes at the house and anyone knows that I don't 'make' her do anything!

I'll probably ask for help when I get to the assembly. Thanks for the offer.

Quick Reply: Of cylinder heads and props. (with pics)