Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Broadfoot Racing rebuilt motors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005 | 03:41 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If i don't go overbore, with Chris White, this deal is outstanding. Then I can let Vitesse attack it!
Old 07-31-2005 | 03:43 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Yeah why not buy it less the stock turbo? Does it come with a turbo, I thought it did from memory?

Then bolt up the V kit. Or buy the bored kit from CW, then get BF to build it with the V S4 kit!
Old 07-31-2005 | 04:38 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

To compare prices, you might want to check out Powerhaus. I know I am biased but you can't blame me. I think they are around the same price. Besides, ehall looks like he may be getting it. I've had my motor for three years. Only replaced the water pump. I live in the desert. It gets more powerful as you break it in. If not, I do know Broadfoot is a great builder as well. Can't go wrong either way. Just sharing my experience. Oh, David of Powerhaus has my exact motor in his car with over 90k on it. Reliability is the main goal. Power second, and to me, they are second to none...

P.S. They also take trade ins on any motor you might have...
Old 08-01-2005 | 12:10 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I didn't buy it. I'm going to set up a meeting with him in the next two weeks. They apparently have created some type of a pay plan that i might look into. either way vitesse is going to make it breath.
Old 08-01-2005 | 12:49 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

So after they make a crazy motor, like Powerhaus did with mine, you're going to let another tuner go at it? I know Vitesse is doing some crazy things with Tool and others. Does that mean he can do more for my motor than it's already putting out?
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:01 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So after they make a crazy motor, like Powerhaus did with mine, you're going to let another tuner go at it? I know Vitesse is doing some crazy things with Tool and others. Does that mean he can do more for my motor than it's already putting out?

Hmm. I can understand, from your perspective why you might think it odd that i would do that.

First, If I have Broadfoot do it, it will probably be a 2.5 ltr engine, witth maybe a noded crank and really good quality head work. But beyond that, he uses his own chips. So it would be a really nice "semi stock" engine. My feeling is that short of going to a full tec3, the best actual "tuner' is Vitesse. So i would buy one of his stage III kits.
Now, If i were to go to any overbore engine, I feel really strongly that I will bite the bullet to have Chris White build the long block. My feeling is that the MID sleeves that he was so instrumental in developing for our cars, are the very best technology available for running big bore and relatively high boost. But still, the power (at least the safe power) comes from the ability to tune the engine to the edge of the envelope, while remaining safe. That's the hallmark of the Vittese products. The a/f rations are rock solid safe while running absolutely absurd boost levels. The spool ups are known to be at the cutting edge of quick, and Vitesse cars are well known to idle better than stock.
so If i went 3.0 8 v from Chris, I would have a Vitesse Stage V installed asap. I'm convinced that the only thing that held back the LR 3.0 8 valve, was the inability too access the very finest software. He should have blasted past 500 at 18 psi IMHO.

Now as for your car, hhmmm. Why even try to mess with that monster? Its an apples too oranges comparison to me. You have a really unique and complicated machine there. I know that Vitesse has worked with 16 v 3.0 turbo engine's but i would have no idea, nor right to speak for what he "might/could" do. It's sorta like touching up the Mona Lisa. Why screw with a one of a kind? But for the sake of arguement, my guess is that he could get you over 600 on race gas. (no idea how you'd keep it from docking with the space station) but why not? If you talk to st, he'll tell you, he plugs in the appropriate map, on a stock bottom end with the Vitesee gear, and just stomps the crap out of it. Seriously, he does nothing else to "tune or prepare" that car for 24 psi/470 hp. (obviously race gas) Hell my guess is that David Floyd will break 500hp in his 2.7 next time he dyno's with his Vitesse kit.

I just don't see anyone else out there doing so many, so well, and so effortlessly. Anyway, that's what i'm thinking. The ultimate for me would be too ship my car off to Chris, and say build me a 3.0 and install/tune me a TEC3. add water injection, slam on custom headers, and lets run it. Quarantee i'd give you a run for your money once he got done with it but we'll never know.

It sure would be interesting to see what Vittese could do with yours. That siad, your guys seem prety freaking awesome too me. To bad there out west.
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:21 AM
NZ951
Race Director

You could see if Rolex is going to part his car out!
Old 08-01-2005 | 03:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

nah not enough hp/$
Old 08-01-2005 | 06:25 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Ehall, never thought it was odd. I just never thought of getting a hell of motor from a very credible builder and then letting a guy like Vitesse tune it even more. Made a sinister little light bulb go off in my head. I don't even know that much about what the Vitesse packages are and what they do. After I read your post, I have a better idea. Makes me wonder. So, going to a guy like Vitesse is like the next best thing to piggy back/Stand alone engine management...great explanation too by the way. Makes me really think...
Old 08-01-2005 | 09:03 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

i met the guy with the car half way down the page:

"1987 951 2.5L Cab Performance Street Engine

Completed Dec. 2004"

he's happy with it, but just sold it, and it was having problems pissing coolant. my guess was that it was coming out of the expansion tank, but that could indicate a messed up water pump/thermostat/whatever. due to this, he would only drive it for about 20 mins at a time. the guy was still at 2479 cc and pushing something like 430 hp. i would assume that was at the crank, not the wheels.

broadfoot has a great reputation as a builder, but a poor reputation when it comes to customer service. ive heard stories of it taking months to get underdrive pulleys purchased off eBay and from his site, and phone calls that consistently go unanswered. i tried contacting them a while back and could never get them to pick up the phone.

edit: btw this is post # 951!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2005 | 12:28 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Matt-
I really don't think my motor is done at this point. I need to do a compression check to varify that though. I think my problem is exhuast related now. I think I got my blink code sorted. I was kind of mentioning the Broadfoot thing here because I now the 951 guys are pretty knowledgable about vendors and such. I'm actually thinking about the possibilities of sending out the SC for a motor rebuild in the future.
Old 08-01-2005 | 06:34 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Erik, He got back with me inside of an hour each time that I've contacted him, even on a Sat. and Sunday. Part of the pulley issue was as a result of filling orders for Lindsey Racing.

Joe_ one of the things i think pepole often miss about all the vendor comparos is the important stuff like a/f ratio, reduced spool up time, and holding all the boost to redline. Those are the hallmarks of Vitesse equipment. Makes me want too say "It's the software Stupid!"
600 hp weould put you forever in first place
Old 08-01-2005 | 07:21 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rob

I'm just bustin' your chops, man.

I have a good friend w/ an SC that did a Carerra motor swap (3.2L DME controlled as opposed to CIS) when his 3.0 was tired. It was nice to have the extra power since added displacement is about the only way to really get any more power out of a 3.0 CIS motor. Unlike our cars, you cant just turn up the boost. Also offered some upgrades in chip/MAF tuning as it was DME controlled.

Test pipe and a Tial and you'll be there.
Old 06-25-2009 | 06:39 PM
vanosman
Instructor

Originally Posted by dime1622
i met the guy with the car half way down the page:

"1987 951 2.5L Cab Performance Street Engine

Completed Dec. 2004"

he's happy with it, but just sold it, and it was having problems pissing coolant. my guess was that it was coming out of the expansion tank, but that could indicate a messed up water pump/thermostat/whatever. due to this, he would only drive it for about 20 mins at a time. the guy was still at 2479 cc and pushing something like 430 hp. i would assume that was at the crank, not the wheels.

broadfoot has a great reputation as a builder, but a poor reputation when it comes to customer service. ive heard stories of it taking months to get underdrive pulleys purchased off eBay and from his site, and phone calls that consistently go unanswered. i tried contacting them a while back and could never get them to pick up the phone.

edit: btw this is post # 951!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Ski
No personal experience with them but a guy who runs DE at TWS has one of the Broadfoot motors in his car. He drives it daily and tracks it - as of a few months back, it was year and half into, not a single problem. He said his only complaint was poor communication on Broadfoot part, hard to get a hold of, phone and email.
Ditto , "Bigfoot Clown Racing" gave me same clown act today
Old 06-25-2009 | 11:37 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I believe Broadfoot collects old BMX's to that i say ..... R E S P E C T ....
he is cool give him your money .....

Quick Reply: Broadfoot Racing rebuilt motors?