Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Streckfu... I have a question about my flipping starter....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:41 PM
faithless
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streckfu... I have a question about my flipping starter....

Looks like I have the same model with the FIVE bolt heat shield as you do........

How long is it gonna take for me to remove all these exhaust pipes in the way? Any gaskets that I would need to replace? If its gonna take forever, Id rather just bend the stupid shield.......

grrrrr. i hate this
Old 07-28-2005, 09:04 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Lucky you!

I don't know what year your car is, but if you have the 2 piece crossover, you may want to consider removing the WG. Definatley try to bend it first though. I pulled everything because I was installing the Tial anyway (which, added to my brief overboost, is why I'm starting the HG.... ).

I didn't have to replace any gaskets. I reused the existing ring gaskets. Just watch teh WG removal, if you go that route, and try not to break any of the studs.

I had a really hard time accessing it with the WG in place. I had to use an air wrench to get in there (and it was still tough). There's just no room. that top bolt on the torque tube is a real bugger.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything I can do!.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:32 PM
faithless
Pro

Yea, 1988 turbo S. Is yours an S?

I just bent them with the vice grips.... no sweat...

Now I cant get the moutning bolts for the starter off (19mm). I've tried using just the 3/8" ratchet, then I put a 12" crecent on the end of it and smacked it with the vice grips... O ya, and I also sprayed it with penetrating oil......Next step is to set it up and use my legs.... lol

I took one look at the torque tube with a slight bit of surface rust and decided Id rather go to hell than try to take that off...
Old 07-28-2005, 09:38 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I didn't remove the torque tube itself.

I only had a real problem with the bolt that inserts from the front. that thing was so overtorqued I had to grind it off.

There is so little room to work in some places that it seems half the car needs come apart to remove a bolt......
Old 07-28-2005, 10:32 PM
faithless
Pro

lol, i hear ya....

I couldnt get my last starter bolt off by hand.... so I took a ratchet wrench, stuck a 1.5' long rectangular steel pipe over it, and put the end of the pipe in the plate of my floor jack... 20 pumps later, the bolt was free.......... i cant believe that

is this sort of thing commonplace?

Quick Reply: Streckfu... I have a question about my flipping starter....