Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do you have to jiggle wires to get your car to start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 09:49 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Do you have to jiggle wires to get your car to start?

I've had a annoying problem for the last year or so where my car wouldn't start occasionally, it would just crank and crank and maybe a few mintues later it would start and always run fine. It happened again this weekend so I jiggled the speed & reference sensor plugs and it started right up!! So I decided to peel back the rubber boot and low and behold the wire insulation was cracked and probably grounding itself to the ground shield wire. So I've ordered new plugs from Eagleday.com. Just a FYI for you guys with wierd running problems, pull back those rubber boots on the connectors and have a look, you'll probably find a mess like I did.

Tom
'87 951
'86.5 Supra
Old 07-24-2005, 11:38 AM
Missin2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like my car..

where is that plug/sensor?

Last edited by Missin2; 07-24-2005 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:39 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Missin2
soulds like my car..

where is that plug/sensor?
At the rear of the engine, above the bell hosuing.

Tip, when installing new connectors, try insulating them from the heat.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:07 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Use to happen all the time, put in a new wiring harness after trying and failing to put on new ends. Now it is starting again with the new harness.....doh!
Old 07-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
Use to happen all the time, put in a new wiring harness after trying and failing to put on new ends. Now it is starting again with the new harness.....doh!
Have you checked the connections under the relay box?
Old 07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

No it is the wires on the wiring harness side. It was fine for a year, but now the other harness (which was used, so what do you expect) is doing the same thing. I littlerally just have to touch the reference sensor connectors and it starts right up, so it isn't that bad yet, and only does it once in a great while. The other harness would do it every other time i started my car, and when i tore apart the harness, 2 of the 3 wires were broken clean off the connector on the harness side.

When it gets bad, i will rip out the 3 wires to each connector in the wiring harness, and run new wires to the DME and then wrap it in tinfoil (acts as the shield i am told) and heatshrink it all.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

No it is the wires on the wiring harness side. It was fine for a year, but now the other harness (which was used, so what do you expect) is doing the same thing. I littlerally just have to touch the reference sensor connectors and it starts right up, so it isn't that bad yet, and only does it once in a great while. The other harness would do it every other time i started my car, and when i tore apart the harness, 2 of the 3 wires were broken clean off the connector on the harness side.

When it gets bad, i will rip out the 3 wires to each connector in the wiring harness, and run new wires to the DME and then wrap it in tinfoil (acts as the shield i am told) and heatshrink it all.
Just use actual shielded wire... Thats all the stock stuff is, two little wires with the braided ground around it. Nothing at all fancy/special until you consider the damn connectors at each end.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:31 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by theedge
Just use actual shielded wire... Thats all the stock stuff is, two little wires with the braided ground around it. Nothing at all fancy/special until you consider the damn connectors at each end.
Where can you get it? I had tried to find some about a year ago and couldnt find any, though i didn't really know what i was looking for either, lol.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:53 PM
IanS
Instructor

What plugs did you order from Eagleday.com? I can't find any 3-pole male connectors, which is what is broken on my reference sensor.

-Ian

Originally Posted by 951Tom
I've had a annoying problem for the last year or so where my car wouldn't start occasionally, it would just crank and crank and maybe a few mintues later it would start and always run fine. It happened again this weekend so I jiggled the speed & reference sensor plugs and it started right up!! So I decided to peel back the rubber boot and low and behold the wire insulation was cracked and probably grounding itself to the ground shield wire. So I've ordered new plugs from Eagleday.com. Just a FYI for you guys with wierd running problems, pull back those rubber boots on the connectors and have a look, you'll probably find a mess like I did.

Tom
'87 951
'86.5 Supra
Old 08-08-2005, 08:19 PM
tammons
Pro

My car does that all the time.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:06 AM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

IanS, I didn't see any 3 prong male connectors on their site. Your only option may be new speed/reference sensors....or splice the wires directly to the factory harness.

Since my original post I've received both the Eagleday.com and Kayjayco.com connectors and either will work fine on a OEM harness rebuild.

Tom
'87 951
'86.5 Supra
Old 08-09-2005, 01:39 AM
IanS
Instructor

Well, it looks like I'll be using some epoxy in the near future. My connector is just broken not damaged.

However, this post was extremely helpful, since my car wasn't starting yesterday or today, and now it is, because I used a rubber band to temporarily secure the connector.

-Ian
Old 08-11-2005, 01:21 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Where can you get it? I had tried to find some about a year ago and couldnt find any, though i didn't really know what i was looking for either, lol.
http://www.rs-autosport.com/

Second or third thing down, theres a pic. Im going to order some up, and some connectors from Eagleday and add new stuff for the speed and reference sensors.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:44 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've posted it before, and I'll post it again. If your connectors look like this (below), your car will not run 100%. And it's pretty much somewhere on your car one of them has deteriorated to this point unless it was garaged all it's life or rebuilt.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2005, 02:27 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

This also applies to the injector wires at the connectors. My car ran crappy on boost. Belched black smoke. Danno helped me diagnose it to the injector wires. I saw the same thing when I cut away the rubber boots. New updated pigtails at NAPA and now it runs awesome.

Quick Reply: Do you have to jiggle wires to get your car to start?