Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stock KLR vs. Aftermarket EBC

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 04:52 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What is nice about the KLR is that it can adapt to conditions like knocking and adjust timnig and boost accordingly. By deleting the CV and running an EBC, you take on the responsibility of monitoring your own timing and knock.

The opening of the stock wastegate at 4 psi is due to the weak stock wastegate spring, not the KLR. Even if you run an EBC to the stock wastegate (send the wastegate no open signal) it will still begin to open early due to the exhaust gas pressure on the face of the wastegate valve.

Ideally, a new pressure sensor would be installed into the KLR, allowing it to monitor boost up to 20psi or so and the KLR chip be reprogrammed to control the CV in a manner similar to the aftermarket EBC - No open signal to the wastegate until it reaches the dialed in boost level. Paired with a Tial wastegate, this would be a very nice boost control setup.

RKD- I am unaware of anyone who programs KLR chips to increase boost without any shims or reliaboost, boost enhancer, etc. Who sells KLR chips for a 951 that can increase boost on their own?
Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Autothority does not use anything to increase the overall boost. The jet only delays the intial opening of the wastegate not the max boost.

Weltmeister shims the wastegate.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Welt chips for my 951S increase the max boost to ~1 bar (roughly the max of what the KLR is able to read). It does come with a shim, but the KLR chip is reprogramed for the higher boost level, too.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:14 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was unaware of any KLR chip doing anything other than removing the overboost protection. I think this is what most chip retailers mean when they advertise being reprogrammed for higher boost levels.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:42 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The Welt chips I had did not remove the overboost protection. Still kicked in, but at a higher boost.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:49 AM
CO951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the way my Welt chips are, too. The raise the boost, but don't remove the overboost protection. They do not require a boost controller.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:08 PM
Geneqco
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This topic has come up in a couple of other threads so I've attached this doc, I'll also post it in the other threads. I had to remove the last two pages of the wiring diag to make it fit.

Any comments are welcome!

I think the important pins to understand are pin 16 of the KLR and pin 31 on the DME.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
1989 951 DME condensed.doc (145.0 KB, 83 views)
Old 06-04-2007, 07:06 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Autothority did in fact reprogram the klr chip for boost.
It was the orginal founder of Autothority that did this and nobody else, that I know of, has done this since.
But, he didn't reprogram for max boost as such, but more so changed the duty cycle of the CV, so that the boost would rise more linearly to your right foot and also to keep the boost from rolling off (turbo size and back pressure dependant) at higher RPM. Max boost was still handled by the restrictor size in the banjo fitting (it is more than a just delayed signal because the the CV acts like a bleeder).
So, to the orginal poster, I believe that back in the day, Autothority, by request, could in fact custom your KLR chip. I don't know if they still would do it, because the real original brains behind Autothority is long gone.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:21 PM
rberry951
Temprarily Banned per IB

There is tuner on this list who has done this successfully, I won't say who, he can chime in if he feels the need to. But yes, it can be done. He has even changed the MAP sensor in the KLR to work with higher boost levels and controlled them successfully. He doesn't market everything he comes up with, but he's probably one of the sharpest tacks in the box.

Regards,
Russell

Quick Reply: Stock KLR vs. Aftermarket EBC