Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennlist not a democracy...but still for the people

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:44 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think they were asking him to be a sponsor... just a member, right? That was the difference between him & Laust. Not that I'm disagreeing with you guys, just trying to see the other side of things.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so the question now is....if he becomes a red letterman, will the thread be opened again?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I hope rennlist continues to allow the little guys invent and occasionally sell solutions for our cars that do not exist. Iceshark's headlight kit and Laust's 5port manifold are perfect examples. This not only helps the 944 community but it puts some pressure on the established vendors to create products that are currently absent in the market.

I agree you have to be a member to post something for sale that you created, but I hope we don't do away with small inventions that can help improve our cars.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:54 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not quite sure where i stand on this one. One side, i understand John's reasoning. On the other, i don't. I started a thread on a Headlight Design months back, i had to take a break from it due to work. Now with all the recent happenings, i'm afraid to go work on it. I had never planned to sell it, but i know people will want it and as a design that is not mine, i cannot give it away.

I don't know what else to say, so if you have to nix my thread go ahead.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Guys,

Please put this in perspective. John D runs Rennlist at considerable personal expense. He could charge (like Ferrarichat) or sell tons of ads with annoying flashing banners - but he doesn't. He created this place where everyone can share - technical help, driving tips, even advice to the lovelorn in OT. Paying members and non members are free to post without being hassled by ads. Nice, very nice.

I think this problem started with battery cables - how many were ordered, a hundred, two hundred? At what price, a hundred bucks, two hunded bucks. Sounds like $10,000 to $20,000 to me. Is that all of a sudden a business? Perhaps. Does John support Rennlist out of his pocket to let some people use it for free advertising?

Why don't we do this differently, how about you all offer Ice an extra five bucks per set of battery cables or headlight kits so he can afford to become a commercial sponsor? Did I hear someone say "WTF, me pay five bucks more?". If that's what you said, then ask yourself "why should John D pay for Ice to advertise his products? If you won't why should he?

Regards,
Old 07-21-2005, 08:16 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG!!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:19 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The question is, "Where do we draw the line?" . . . and the fact is that WE do not draw the line. The owner(s) of this site do, and if we intend to use this site then we must follow the rules. That is the bottom line.

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
I think you got a new mod who is trigger happy and made a very bad judgement call
You, my friend, have no idea what went on "behind the scenes" before that thread was closed. Maybe your opinion would be different if it were based on facts and not assumptions!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys,

Please put this in perspective. John D runs Rennlist at considerable personal expense. He could charge (like Ferrarichat) or sell tons of ads with annoying flashing banners - but he doesn't. He created this place where everyone can share - technical help, driving tips, even advice to the lovelorn in OT. Paying members and non members are free to post without being hassled by ads. Nice, very nice.

I think this problem started with battery cables - how many were ordered, a hundred, two hundred? At what price, a hundred bucks, two hunded bucks. Sounds like $10,000 to $20,000 to me. Is that all of a sudden a business? Perhaps. Does John support Rennlist out of his pocket to let some people use it for free advertising?

Why don't we do this differently, how about you all offer Ice an extra five bucks per set of battery cables or headlight kits so he can afford to become a commercial sponsor? Did I hear someone say "WTF, me pay five bucks more?". If that's what you said, then ask yourself "why should John D pay for Ice to advertise his products? If you won't why should he?

Regards,
I am a member of Ferrarichat and never had to pay anything.-or be witness to some of the things I have seen here.
I could mention plenty of other forums that do not have some of the problems I have seen here, but they are not Rennlist, so really not valid.

Like I said Rennlist is not a democracy, but I remember a long time ago, a list called Porschelist and it was a community.

I know Porsche® came along and pooped all over that, but that is what the big boys....
I mean there are no similarities here....
Old 07-21-2005, 08:27 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tedwright
The question is, "Where do we draw the line?" . . . and the fact is that WE do not draw the line. The owner(s) of this site do, and if we intend to use this site then we must follow the rules. That is the bottom line.

You, my friend, have no idea what went on "behind the scenes" before that thread was closed. Maybe your opinion would be different if it were based on facts and not assumptions!

then please feel free to enlighten me through pm.

You have been a mod a week and closed what 3 threads?

Im all for infomation....fill me in. As it stands right now I think your trigger happy but, I am never against being proven wrong.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

porshhh951. 2 of those threads that Ted closed turned into rolexnj bashing threads that did nothing but get hosrom and nz_951 banned for a couple days. This last one that he closed had a lot of behind the scene work and it was not his complete choice to close it (i am guessing). So don't go saying he is "trigger happy" because he is just doing what the moderator is supposed to do.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:42 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I have known Ted for what few days. 1st day he saw me, thats when i sold him my spoiler, told me hey hop in i'll take you for a ride. I talked to him for about 30 min. Nice guy enugh to trust him which is alot. just gave him the spoiler on his word that he would pay when he got home the follwing day. I dont think Ted just likes to close threads. He is pretty much for rennlist. If their is a reason for which he close down that thread it had to be for a reason. So far rennlist has been up for a while now. I am sure thsese Moderator's know what they are doing..
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Guys,

Regards,

Bob,
No offense to you, but you are way off base here.

See you have to look at it not only from a money stand point but a stand point as to what money was actually made if any. I know Dan very well, i doubt he made much money off the cables if any. (you do know how much porsche parts cost correct?) He has said it multple times to me in private and publicly, his intent was not to make money! His sole intent was to help the community, something 99% of the people here cannot do. I have yet to see another "battery cable" thread that out performs dans. (Actually, i've never even see or hear of another one!) Not to mention, do you know our cars have burned up because of a faulty ground cable. Dan simplily fixed the issue, shared it with us and was asked to make cables.

Granted, technically speaking this would be considered a business. Your analogy makes sense yes, why don't we all pay Dan an extra $5. The problem is, maybe thats not what he wants. He has a day job and was doing this for rennlist, a website at one time i'm sure he loved. If you nix ppl and threads like that, you mise well make rennlist a completly OT board.

I thank John D everytime I get a chance, the site is great I love it. I love the people i've meet from it.

The problem is, your going to take away one thing this community has that others don't, the people. The people like Dan that know there **** and help people because they can, not because they want money.

Let me give you an anology, if Dan was to build the cables and give them away at no cost, would that make you happy? (no cost means, you pay for nothing, everything is out of pocket)

Correct me if i'm wrong, wasn't there a post a while back about someone questioning John's reasoning for charging what he does? Someone stated with all the memberships and sponsorships he was bringing in upwords of $100k. I backed John, because i konw what it costs to run a large scale website! You have just done the same thing with Dan and many did to John.

*shakes head*
Old 07-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Wes, No offense taken! We don't have to agree after all.
Looking at the battery cable thread, it appears that the cables cost buyers 275 plus dollars. Last batch was sixty meaning over a hundred were sold for something like $28,000. It may be a cottage industry but that's not chicken-feed. Short of an audit we'll never know if Ice made money or not. As I said, easier would be to simply charge 5 bucks more and become a sponsor - everyone is happy. I am told the cables are really good. So, would you pay $289 instead of the last price I saw which was 284 dollars? If I needed them, I would. Perhaps John would make scaled deals for small business operators or hobby business guys like Ice? We won't know until someone asks.

I do agree that this one is a tough call - is Ice puely altruisitc or a business. Hard to tell. John D makes the rules and Ted is doing the thankless job of applying them. Ice and John should talk.

Best,
Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Randy V
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey, who's the ****** that's stolen my sig gif for his avatar? That'll teach me to stop by this forum...
Old 07-21-2005, 10:28 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy V
Hey, who's the ****** that's stolen my sig gif for his avatar? That'll teach me to stop by this forum...
That will be Carlos, and he is a great guy.

Quick Reply: Rennlist not a democracy...but still for the people