Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 AM
yung
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next?

I got my car dynoed a litle while ago and am looking for some advice on what I should do next.

1988 944 turbo S
- Huntley chips
- tial dual port wastegate
- Huntley manual boost controller
- catless, Lindsey 3" exhaust system

I'm running 15psi of boost. Here is my dyno:

http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dyno8pk.jpg

Any suggestions? Do I need to flatten that fuel/air curve out? It's rich down low, but flattens up nicely up top. As far as hp... I'm content, but wouldn't mind going up to say 17psi.

Should I get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, 3.0 fpr (both from lindseyracing), or a rising fpr like this one: http://www.cartech.net/fmu2020.htm
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do NOT get an FMU; the list of reasons can be found with the Search button.

If you plan on doing a lot of mods or in-depth tuning, get the adjustable fuel pressure regulator. If you plan on using someone's professionally produced chips for the foreseeable future or if the answer to the previous question wasn't an instant "YES", get the 3bar Bosch unit.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:58 AM
yung
5th Gear

Do I need to worry about my a/f ratio being rich down low? The 3.0 won't alter the shape of the curve at all, but just raise it, right?
Old 07-19-2005, 05:08 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

get a chip from vitesse
Old 07-19-2005, 09:07 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

good god!

Do yourself a favor. Spend 400 bucks on a set of vitesse chips. Gain 10-15mpg along with prolly 15hp and 25tq.

You need to throw those chips in the trash...thats one of the worst air/fuel ratio's I have ever seen. You nearly climb back up to 13. And your so rich that for the first few thousand rpm's your off the chart.

You should be 13 or so at the start and have it fall to a low 12 at readline. Seriously....you are giving up alot of drivablity and hp. You need a good chip from vitesse.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:12 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I would say pick up new chips and a new boost controller. If you have the money, pick up the vitesse MAF kit, and it will come with a new chip. The MAF will help spool up and throttle response BIG TIME! That is the only thing that would be next in the list, IMO.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:32 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Yung. (I'm assuming this is med student, former olympian, sometimes sushi dinner companion Yung from chicago)

Chips chips chips. Ditch the huntley. Get Vitesse.

And get Oliver to fix his car.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:20 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

I am going to have to say that you should invest in some vitesse chips. Just because the huntley chips (as i see in your dyno run) are designed to run rich so your car does not blow up. Only problem is, is that is way to rich. Vitesse chips will flatten that a/f line out and will also allow you to run more boost. If you really want to spend the money invest in a maf/chip upgrade and you will be around 300 rwhp.

-Ian
Old 07-19-2005, 02:31 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

save some money to pay for repairs that are definitely coming your way. gotta love these cars!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:00 PM
yung
5th Gear

hey hugh, nice to hear from you! and nice webpage. your interior makes me jealous. i have a 12" sub temporarily seatbelted into the back seat all ghetto style right now

so i looked at archives and i think i'll go with the vitesse chips like everyone said

i'm trying to decide whether or not i should go maf or just chip. if i decide to go maf lateri gotta upgrade the chip again, right?

anyone have a dyno of either setup... preferably with the k26/8?

and the a/f curve will be pretty flat? ...no need for the mafterburner or powerperfect that lindsey sells?

dime, not what i'm wanting to hear i feel bad enought that it sucks away my time.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:52 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yung
hey hugh, nice to hear from you! and nice webpage. your interior makes me jealous. i have a 12" sub temporarily seatbelted into the back seat all ghetto style right now

so i looked at archives and i think i'll go with the vitesse chips like everyone said

i'm trying to decide whether or not i should go maf or just chip. if i decide to go maf lateri gotta upgrade the chip again, right?

anyone have a dyno of either setup... preferably with the k26/8?

and the a/f curve will be pretty flat? ...no need for the mafterburner or powerperfect that lindsey sells?

dime, not what i'm wanting to hear i feel bad enought that it sucks away my time.
most people seem to be ok without a fuel controller with vitesse chips. If you need one it would probably make sense to go with the one they sell, the SMT6.
http://www.perfectpower.com/products/smt6.asp
Old 07-20-2005, 03:14 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

ung, if you're looking for an SMT-6/Vitesse MAF combo I know Mike (MPD47) has one for sale. It would have been sold (to me) if I wasn't buying another car.
~Eyal

Quick Reply: What next?