Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

*sigh* boost problem...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 02:49 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default *sigh* boost problem...

So, I have a problem. When I bought my car in NYC, it held 21psi of boost through most of the rev range, tapering off to well over 10 by redline (maybe 17?). Lately I haven't really gotten into it a lot, but recently, I started pushing it harder, and I get 21-22psi at 3300-3500RPM, which holds until about 4000RPM, where it starts tapering off. I have to shift before 5000RPM (maybe 4700-4800) to keep power, otherwise my boost will taper off to just below atmospheric by redline. It feels like I just run out of power by 5000RPM.

So, I'm trying to pin down the problem. I pulled the entire exhaust apart, and re-assembled, fixing a couple rattles in the process. I checked over the intake, and other than bad O-rings on the TB (which will be fixed soon), there are no big leaks. The ISV leaks a tiny bit, but I suppose they all do. It's not an intake/exhaust problem.

So, my next guess is wastegate. If I keep a close eye on the boost gauge, am I okay to disconnect (and clamp off) the line to the wastegate? Wouldn't this keep it closed? (or would it keep it open?.....)
I know it's spiked to 25psi or so without knock, so if I keep it shy of 20psi, I should be safe, right?

Any other suggestions on where I should start hunting?

It still has stock boost control. It's chipped, and has an aftermarket banjo bolt, as well as a shimmed wastegate.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:51 AM
Zero10
Race Car

I should note. I am unable to find any exhaust leaks. I don't hear any exhaust leaks, and I can't find any sooty-looking areas on the exhaust. With how much oil I burn, I would imagine that I could see any leaks (I found one this way upon exhaust disassembly).

I said it was not an intake/exhaust problem, this is why I think so.
Old 07-16-2005, 09:08 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you can crimp the wastegate line and see if the boost increases. Just be smart about it.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:24 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Okay, I'll actually disconnect it, since my line has been re-run it's actually easier for me, since I don't have anything very secure to pinch it off with, but I can plug it

We'll see what happens.

Quick Reply: *sigh* boost problem...