944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Welt chips, boost and stuff. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005 | 04:02 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Default Welt chips, boost and stuff. . .

Just finished the upgrade to 15psi with the Weltmeister chips - seems quite happy there and pulls quite noticeably harder than stock. Here's the latest:

- Accuboost controller
- Welt chips
- 4mm wastegate shim
- 3 bar FPR (thanks Danno)

I'm pretty happy with it. The boost gauge I was using teed off the intake was reading about 1.5-2.0 psi low with the engine off so I'm using slightly adjusted numbers. The stock gauge is pretty accurate against the adjusted boost gauge values, which were running solid 13psi indicated (14.5-15 accounting for the instrument error). Some additional tuning will be required obviously, but there are no signs of richness and no knocking that I could detect. The car really goes like a raped ape now. . . I'm fairly pleased with the performance of the chips. . .

Next on the list - oil pan gasket (ugh). Maybe in 2-3 weeks.
Old 07-14-2005 | 05:14 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

i need to get you those stockers back! come over and help me pull of my headers, their kicking my ***! (maybe cause the head is milled?)
~Eyal
Old 07-14-2005 | 05:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Well done Jeff... next mod should be a Tial maybe? Or some exhaust work?
Old 07-14-2005 | 06:19 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

next mod should be him starting his callaway!
~Eyal
Old 07-14-2005 | 06:21 AM
NZ951
Race Director

lol oh you mean he has not finished that yet? lol my bad.
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:35 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Thought you couldn't run an mbc with the welt chips cause they'd run lean? If not, I'm adding a mbc asap!
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:35 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea, it should be. The problem is I know once I pull the 944 off the road to do this Callaway upgrade it's going to be off for a long while - possibly as long as two years. . . As such I really want to dot all my "i"s and cross all my "t"s on the 951 since it will be more or less my only transport option other than my motorcycle and the wife's car (unless of course I run out and buy that 911. . . Wife isn't totally sold on my rationalization for that though).

Anyway yeah, I'll probably do a couple more little things on the 951 and one major repair (the oil pan seal, which seeps when the car sits and drives me freekin' insane as a result). Other than that and a/c, it's good to go on a more-or-less permanent basis now. Next upgrade will probably be an EBC (ApecI) for better and more precise control of the boost (the Accuboost gave values +/- 1psi during the test runs yesterday, which MAY have been gauge error, but maybe not. . . I wanna' control a bit more precisely than that). Anyway, the Tial and then incremental exhaust upgrades will probably happen over the next several months while the Callaway upgrade is underway, I'll just have to do them at someone else's place.

The Callaway is more-or-less ready to proceed - just need to get it in the garage and start ripping the car apart.
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:38 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Maybe I can get over there this weekend to help ya'. What's wrong with 'em now?
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:46 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"Thought you couldn't run an mbc with the welt chips cause they'd run lean"

My car had Welt. chips in it when I first got it an ran fine with 15psi. Was told comparred to some of the other "mainstream" chips Welts run a little richer up top.
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:48 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"The boost gauge I was using teed off the intake was reading about 1.5-2.0 psi low"

That could also prove why it is better to run your WG line AFTER the intercooler. If you run 15psi and the WG is tapped in the stock location, BEFORE the intercooler, then there is the standard 1-2 psi pressure drop from the IC, you will get 1-2 psi less then you are expecting actually into the intake.

By tapping the WG line in the IC pipe after the IC, you eliminate that. This was also discussed in "Maximum Boost"
Old 07-14-2005 | 10:50 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I thought so too, but figured it was worth a shot. Actually what started all this was the stupid wastegate bracket. In attempting to fix it I think I must've tugged on the hose or brushed against it or something and the plastic nipple snapped off the CV so I just reached the conclusion that the CV design sucks and it was time to delete it. Rather than waste two or three weeks to find, save up for, figure out how to install, and rig up an ApecI I just got the Accuboost for now - it's actually not that bad, but I am a little leery of the range of values I've obtained and like the tunability of the EBCs so I will eventually get one. For now this works and I have a running car again though.
Old 07-14-2005 | 05:12 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Originally Posted by toddk911
"The boost gauge I was using teed off the intake was reading about 1.5-2.0 psi low"

That could also prove why it is better to run your WG line AFTER the intercooler. If you run 15psi and the WG is tapped in the stock location, BEFORE the intercooler, then there is the standard 1-2 psi pressure drop from the IC, you will get 1-2 psi less then you are expecting actually into the intake.

By tapping the WG line in the IC pipe after the IC, you eliminate that. This was also discussed in "Maximum Boost"
No, no. . . I think I may have been unclear here. The boost gauge is a VDO (for the Callaway car, but since I had it sitting around. . .) With it just sitting on my toolbox not hooked up to anything it indicated about 1.5 psi vaccum. I used my hand vaccum pump with built-in dial gauge to cross-check this and got values all the way up to about 25 psi vaccum matching the gauge on the vaccum pump within about 1 psi. Not sure about going the other way (boost) though so I adjusted the numbers to use the "zero" position of the gauge (-1.5 psi). I teed it off the INTAKE banjo bolt (the one that normally drives the KLR line, FPR line, etc. I just added a "T" and ran the hose off that, out the back of the hood and into the pass. side window for testing. Worked fine. My wife went along and just read off the peak #'s as I fine-tuned the boost controller.

So I'm guessing that would be the best location for a boost gauge anyway right (intake manifold)? I'm essentially trying to give a reading as close to the cylinders as possible and the only thing downstream of that location is the intake valves themselves, AND the charge has cooled to the point it's going to be entering the cylinders at - so very little if any temperature-induced variation. That's my thinking anyway.
Old 07-14-2005 | 05:28 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Jeff, you have things set up correctly. You want the boost gauge in the intake manifold so that you see what pressure your engine is seeing. You also want the wastegate line as close to the exit of the turbo as possible to create as small of a feedback loop as possible.

-John
Old 07-14-2005 | 05:39 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Well, I'm trying to pull the headers so I can re-align the oil cooler housing to rule that out for the high oil pressure. but their being stuborn. I dunno if I'm being a pansy about it, or if they really are stubborn.
I'm ordering a Mocal 25 row cooler and such to replace the stock cooler, which i realized is damaged a bit, and may actually be the cause as well. All i need help with really is getting these headers off, their 1 and 4 are unbolted! I'm going to wrap them while their off.
~Eyal
Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Maybe I can get over there this weekend to help ya'. What's wrong with 'em now?
Old 07-15-2005 | 03:40 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"My wife went along and just read off the peak #'s as I fine-tuned the boost controller"

I LOVE doing that. "Honey, I need you to come with me for a testing run" "Oh great"

Does anyone know of a peak/hold pressure guage? pretty cheap. I want to do a before/after IC test jsut to see how much boost is lost from the stock line to right before the manifold.

Quick Reply: Welt chips, boost and stuff. . .