Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Thoughts on a Hood Vent

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 06:16 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's what he's doing. It will look like the 968TS duct.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:30 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
That's what he's doing. It will look like the 968TS duct.
In case you get bored with your current avatar.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:48 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

sweet!
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

The photo shop version is basically what I am trying to do. I just didn;t do photoshop. I first modeled it in CAD then did a paper template.

I am torn between trying to put ducting in or leaving it open so that when it sits after dribing the hot air from the radiator/IC can escape easier.

I also plan on putting a small hood scoope or naca duct on it and a few other vents for strategic areas. Just doing one thing at a time.

The only bracking i will loose is a small portion of the center brace. I can actually get that duct to fit with the stock hood latch (thats why a paper template is nice..to see how everything will fit-up).

Next task is the foa mold. If that works, I will then start glassing it up to make the vent. Lots of work still. In between all of this I have to get my daughters swing set built..

-Dana
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim is right - the vent will suck hot air out of the engine bay like mad. However, the more air the vent sucks from the engine bay, the less it will suck from the intercooler.

You want to determine if pulling hot air out of the intercooler is more beneficial than pulling hot air out of the engine bay, and what ratio will keep the engine cooler. In my under-educated opinion, there is enough ventilation for the engine bay where the hood and windscreen meet. I think you will see a far greater drop in intercooler temps (and engine water temps) if you isolate the intercooler exit air.

Looking at Porsche's factory Turbo RS is as good a real life example as I can come up with, since it has the duct under the vent.

Another thing to remeber is that you don't want to scoop air into the car and not give it a direct exit path - such as a random NACA duct blowing air directly into the engine bay with no exit venting - or a or radiator duct with no exit ducting. This kind of setup has a significantly higher Cd (and less effective temp drop) than one with an exit vent like on the top of the 968 TRS.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:59 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

special tool..

where did you get your vented nose panel from ?
Old 07-15-2005, 08:06 AM
special tool
Banned

carbontrix.com.
It is so light, I could not tell it was in my hand.
Old 07-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Andy
Instructor

While I like the 968TS vent, you've got a few problems trying to use it on a 951. A reinforcement stringer runs down the middle of the hood which you'd have to cut and you won't get great airflow thru the crossmember that holds the hood latch anyway and I believe the headlight pivot rod might be in the way of the ducting too (maybe it's low enough, I can't remember rigth now.) In my opinion, what would be the simplist and best would be 2 reverse NACA ducts of both side of the hood latch and ducted to the holes in that crossmember. Testarossa, can you photoshop that?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:37 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Andy
While I like the 968TS vent, you've got a few problems trying to use it on a 951. A reinforcement stringer runs down the middle of the hood which you'd have to cut
That is exactly how the 968RS was made. The center brace was simply cut and the vent stuck in. I could post a pic, but I am not at the correct computer.

Also, I have an extra hood. If it doesn't work, I am out nothing, I simply put the cars hood back on.

Special tool, did you notice any improvements/changes with the vent you added?

-Dana
Old 07-15-2005, 06:38 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Now I still want to know....where to I get me one of those stormtroopers????????????

-Dana
Old 07-15-2005, 06:40 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I lied. Here is the picture:

-Dana

Quick Reply: My Thoughts on a Hood Vent