Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 08:59 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb my MAF/TURBO plans

There are a few of us getting our mid-summer mod on and I'm off (as in sooo not right) to make the second year of ownership just as financially impractical as the first

The key pieces have been selected so I would like some advice/options on how to bring the mod together. Some intent basics: street use/maybe a few DE's, pump gas, 15 boost max, "fire and forget" reliability, and no perpetual tweaking. OH, minimal interior hacking.
Hell, what good is it if you can't hop in and spend a weekend with the sharks in Tahoe or the 44 Fest?? Yeah' like I'm even going to have a liscense by then......

I just picked up a stage II MAF from Vitess to butt up against a K27/6. I replaced my oil leaking K26/6 with a low miles K26/6 that will now get sent out for the conversion.

My engine is approaching 170k but with a valve job, rod berrings, head gasket, belts/rollers/seals/H2o pump done about 4k ago, I think she's ready for a mid power package. Suspension needs tweaking but has many strong points!! Next will be easy exhaust mods.

Stuff I know I need:
38 Tial--dual or single port?? I thought you had to have an EBC for duals?
EBC or MBC??--Trying to avoid a Piggyback, chips should carry load.
55# Siemans injectors, blueprinted--
AFPR--2 bar??
3" Jpipe to K27/2 inlet silicone sleeve--
AFM??--column mounted looked pretty damn good, pillar pods are soo not me.

All your advice is very appreciated and I'm not above GOOD used mechanical parts. So for you guys and girls that have honed your skills and are considering those stage four and five kits, this is a good time to clean house!

BTW, FS low miles LBE. Purchased from a famous lister but never used, and maybe the APE II's
Old 07-06-2005, 10:53 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-dual port on the WG.

-EBC if you can afford it. i run an MBC with no problems. it depends on how risky you want to get. if you err a touch on the safe side, and watch you AFM, should you get one, youll be fine.

-get a 3 bar FPR.

-i would installing an AFM in the clock location if i didnt to the A-pillar. cant read the damn clock anyway, and its not a *super* critical item.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:42 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Erik,
I have been tracking related posts for quite a while and I know most folks like the EBC, but then I talk to a couple of pro's who use the MBC's without a problem. Argh!

Dual port has to be controlled with solenoids? Hence EBC.

Just did a Goggle for AFPR's--blah,blah. Suggestions and part numbers??

Love the Fuchs with the Zermatt!!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:46 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

lindsey's MBC can control a dual port WG. in fact, their 340 rwhp kit that's mentioned on another thread of mine that's pretty hot tonight has a dual port WG and their MBC.

im not familiar enough with FPR's to make an educated suggestion.

thanks for the niceties about the car, im busily spending money so i dont lose her. i havent had her for 2.5 weeks now, and shes my daily driver!
Old 07-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Dual ports can be used with a ebc. I would go with the ebc if you have the money to spend. It is safer and more reliable. And most of them have cool little tools like adjusting the pressure in each gear and what not. I use a MBC but if i had the money i would buy a ebc just cause of the temp always changing around here.

-Ian
Old 07-06-2005, 11:55 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

there's another plug for a manual...thanks! i'll check it.

"im busily spending money so i dont lose her. i havent had her for 2.5 weeks now, and shes my daily driver!" OOUCH
Old 07-06-2005, 11:58 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Get the ebc. You can buy them on ebay for roughly 270.0 for Greddy profec b. Just do it. Get a chip for your car from Vitesse. You said you want plug and play reliability. Don't even think of any other chips. The 3 bar sold by Paragon should be fine.
Lastly, don't be too afraid of piggy backs. I can't think of a single good system taht doesn't utilize one. For suspension, it's up too your budget. What are you looking to do?
Old 07-07-2005, 12:42 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

ehall,
The Profec b has been on my list for a long time, my chips will be Vitess for the K27/6 included with the MAF. It's good to hear another vote of confidence for Vitess, when the MAF set up became available I paced my notebook for half an hour like I was buying oil wells!!

Suspension is in my sig, well, minus the 968 castors and four wheel alignment. Oh, the P7000's are prolly the weak link there, it's nice both car's have the same rubber though!
Old 07-07-2005, 12:43 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

PP0.280.160.249 , is this correct?

Quick Reply: my MAF/TURBO plans