Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Thinking of selling MAF

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 03:18 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rich condition right as you release throttle isn't too much of a problem. There are upsides, at night the flame it shoots out the back is pretty sweet looking.

The ARCII has no problem with temp. sensors. All the ARCII does is allow you to modify the signal to compensate for different variables. If you have an IAT and a chip programmed for the IAT, the ARCII will work fine with that. It's in the chip/ecu that makes the adjustments regarding air temp.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

I have APE chips does that help?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:25 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eniac
The rich condition right as you release throttle isn't too much of a problem. There are upsides, at night the flame it shoots out the back is pretty sweet looking.

The ARCII has no problem with temp. sensors. All the ARCII does is allow you to modify the signal to compensate for different variables. If you have an IAT and a chip programmed for the IAT, the ARCII will work fine with that. It's in the chip/ecu that makes the adjustments regarding air temp.
So using an externally venting BOV does not really affect performance/driveability?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:39 PM
eniac
Drifting

If the ARCII isn't set up perfectly the car will stall only if I floor the throttle and let off really quickly from an idle. I also removed my ICV so that might have something to do with it. Slowing down normal or under hard braking, heel/toeing, etc it doesn't stall ever.

There are a few companies that sell BOV's with anti-stall adapters. Never tried one. This MAF kit is design for an aftermarket recirculating BOV. I have that hole plugged and am currently venting to the atm.
I have APE chips does that help?
Not sure what you are asking...
This will work with APE chips but without an IAT.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Sorry Eniac let me clarify

Originally Posted by eniac
It's in the chip/ecu that makes the adjustments regarding air temp.
I have APE chips are they capable of making the adjustments above you were talking about earlier.

Regarding the Externally vented BOV. What happens if you don't recirculate the charge? Does the MAF get confused and cut fuel off? Or does it just leave excess fuel in the system with a lack of air that has all been dumped out?

Does that clear it up a little?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:54 PM
eniac
Drifting

I am unsure about what the APE chips would do if you drilled a hole and added an IAT to the j-pipe. I do not know enough about the specifics of those chips.

A MAF measures the amount of airflow coming into the engine (mass). Then fuel adjustments are made by the addorcingly. When the BOV vents to the atm., it is venting already measured air that the ECU "thinks" is still in the system. This causes a rich condition b/c the same amount of fuel is there but suddenly less air. A MAP does not have these issues since it measures air pressure, instead of airflow.

I'm sure someone else can explain this a bit better but that's the jist of it.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:05 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Kool,
Try to get in touch with Jimbo. He should point you
to the right direction as he's got first hand experience
with the PSC1-004
Old 07-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Will do
Old 07-07-2005, 06:58 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So the PSC1 already has a temperature sensor?? i don't think so, since the MAF should already have an IAT (not in this case) where the software in the PSC1 is hooked up to the MAF IAT and then compensates for temperature difference(s).

If the PSC1 does have it's own IAT, then it should be placed in the intake system for more accurate air tempereature readings, and don't forget if you already have an IAT from the MAF, then does the user programe the PSC1 on which sensor to use? (do you see where i am going??)
Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

The Psc1 is a solid performer. It has a barometer not a temp sensor. The instructions do indicate that a temp sensor on the intake can be installed and may help with operation but I have not installed one. Ever since I set the idle maps I have not changed the settings at all. The weather has gone from 20 deg to over 90. The main reason to have a temp sensor install on the intake is to prevent detonation on hot days. The temp sensor retards the timing as the weather gets hotter. The psc1 has a fixed output to the dme set at 72 deg. I have a temp sensor somewhere in the parts bin. I will be installing it in the near future for good measure.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:58 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

jimbo: Doesn't the MAF already have the tempereature sensor?? why not use that one? (just like the way the AFM uses the tempreature sensor there).
Old 07-08-2005, 09:33 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

Yeah what hosrom said.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

A maf compensates for air temp change itself. It's a hot wire so cooler or warmer air is sensed along with volume. The afm uses a temp sensor because it can't sense climate changes with just a door. A maf meter should run fine without it because it can. Most piggy backs have a output of 72 deg wired to #4 on the afm harness. The dme thinks it's 72 deg all the time on that circuit.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:45 AM
Kool
Part of the IN Crowd
Rennlist Member

And the different reading coming from the actual MAF sensor compensate for temp? But as a back up it can't hurt to hook up a air temp sensor since the ECU already has the functionality?

Is that right?
Old 07-08-2005, 10:33 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kool
And the different reading coming from the actual MAF sensor compensate for temp? But as a back up it can't hurt to hook up a air temp sensor since the ECU already has the functionality?
Is that right?
You can, then you have cold start enrichment, but its also used in a table
on the chip for adding fuel , +12.5% - 0 depending on the temp.
So you end up adding fuel twice, once with the MAF...again with the temp sensor. A lot of guys do this so maybe it really isnt that big of a deal.

Anyone know where this table is in the chips and want to share it ???
If so, then it could be set flat.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling MAF