Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I thought I got a good deal on my car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:58 AM
MR951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I thought I got a good deal on my car...

Bought my '89 951 w/ 80,000 miles on it for $8,000 about 2 months ago but check this out:

http://www.exotic-motorcars.com/cata...roducts_id=118

26,250 miles and asking $9,900. I'm sure you could get it down to less than $9,000. There isn't much demand for these cars here (Hawaii). The Porsche mechanic that I go too actually makes money by fixing up 944s and 951s here and then shipping them to the Pac NW area to sell.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:36 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Wow, a little ratty but sport seats, 89 Turbo...

-Joel.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:59 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Those Sport Seats sure seem to be worn for 26K miles, must be the tropical sun...I would check that mileage very carefully.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:39 AM
TheRealLefty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hope the car is working out for you. Pictures don't tell all the story, but there are several questions at a glance that might encouarge me to look more deeply were I the buyer. General condition of the interior of any car is the best indicator of mileage accuracy and as noted the seats and steering wheel look well used.

I also would question the rock guards as it looks like the two of the three have darkened on the passenger side So what about the rear one? Gone? Painted over? And why not on the driver's side?

Again only at a glance, but when the stated mileage, the asking price and overall condition of the car get out of whack, caveat emptor certainly applies. A car with this little mileage would more likely be babied, as opposed to ignored. But then again, maybe there aren't that many way to put miles on a car on an island
Old 07-03-2005, 09:20 AM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like it might have spent a good chuck of its life as a rental. That's one way to accelerate wear and tear.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:26 PM
bearone
Three Wheelin'

Question

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
Hope the car is working out for you. Pictures don't tell all the story, but there are several questions at a glance that might encouarge me to look more deeply were I the buyer. General condition of the interior of any car is the best indicator of mileage accuracy and as noted the seats and steering wheel look well used.

I also would question the rock guards as it looks like the two of the three have darkened on the passenger side So what about the rear one? Gone? Painted over? And why not on the driver's side?

Again only at a glance, but when the stated mileage, the asking price and overall condition of the car get out of whack, caveat emptor certainly applies. A car with this little mileage would more likely be babied, as opposed to ignored. But then again, maybe there aren't that many way to put miles on a car on an island
you can put as many miles driving on an island as you can anyplace else if you drive enuff.

Old 07-03-2005, 11:39 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rock guards are a give away--island UV is pretty high, also no engine bay pics.......
Old 07-04-2005, 05:21 AM
cas951
Rennlist Member

MR951,

Where is this dealer located in Honolulu. I'm here for a few days and if this is really a deal maybe..... Darn I'm already getting excited...
Old 07-04-2005, 02:16 PM
MR951
Racer

Originally Posted by cas951
MR951,

Where is this dealer located in Honolulu. I'm here for a few days and if this is really a deal maybe..... Darn I'm already getting excited...
Looks like its near Ala Moana Shopping Center. Go to the link above and then click on "home". They've got the contact number, address and a link to Yahoo maps.

I was going to check it out but if you do, let me know how it looks. BTW enjoy your stay here.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:12 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Hey All,

I was curious about this car and went by to check it out. Here's my assesment of the car if any of you are interested. At first I went there on the intent of buying this car as my second car. After seeing it I changed my mind because of the seller/owner was giving me a lot of BS.

The bad:
Dash cracked
clock is discolored
no Ashtray
Signs of accident on left side. poor paint job to cover it up
Front has several dings (Not Rock chips) that's been repainted
Sotone guards are all cracked all around
Rear decklid carpet is faded and brittle

Eng Comp:
Intake hoses are all brittle. You can see craks all over
Fuel line is original ( He just gave me a big BS on this one) He said he had it serviced and this was replaced.
Turbo water pump does not work
Brake booster is rusted out. (Typical problem is Hawaii)
Eng comp looks like it's never seen a rag (to clean)
All hoses shows brittleness.
Will not old boostto stock level

The Good:
Engine runs VERY SMOOTH
seat are 8 out of 10
AC COLD
Clutch feels new and feels shifts great.
Suspesion feels tight

If you want to run a CRAFAX here's the VIN.
WP0AA2957KN150530

The biggest turn off I had is he said he spent over 4 k on recent service which inckeded the fuel lines. I opened the hood and it had original fuel lines. Next he said the car was in storage for the last 10 years due to owner in Japan. This does not explain the dash crack and rear cargo covers being brittle. And also the accident signs it has on the left door. It doesn't match the color of the body...

Let me know if you guys wasnt more info. I'm in Hawaii for a week....

Shortyboy, MR951 let me know if you guys are free. I'd like to see if we can get together.

Efren
Old 07-04-2005, 07:26 PM
MR951
Racer

Originally Posted by cas951
Shortyboy, MR951 let me know if you guys are free. I'd like to see if we can get together.

Efren
Might be free next weekend or during the week. I work from about 1pm - 9:30pm (give or take an hour of flex) so we could get together in the morning or later at night. PM me. What day are you leaving?

BTW, thanks for the report. Makes me feel better about my car .
Old 07-05-2005, 04:40 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also took a look at this car today. I'm visiting family here in Honolulu, so I figured what the hell..

Anyway, much like Efren said, this car is what I would consider to be in rough shape.

Mismatched body panels with no history or info of a prior accident. The 3M StoneGuard pieces are painted over with what looks like Krylon to conceal their discolouration and cracking - what a joke. A supposed 4K repair bill that doesn't reflect any of items mentioned - ie. replaced fuel lines, new brakes etc..

Before seeing it today I thought this was going to be a steal of a deal for an '89 car, but after seeing it up close and adding up the cost of returning this car to what it should be... for me, it's not worth it. No maintenance history and the car appears that it's been used for more than 26K miles. Too many unknowns and a sketchy salesman. I'm even questioning the authenticity of the mileage - sure would like to see a CARFAX report on this thing.

This is what I figured needs repair or replacement:

New paint job - this is the biggest hit ($$) prior accident(s)??
Tires
Refinish rims
New dash
Dash clock
Rear carpet
Restitch seams on driver's seat
Timing/Balance shaft belt & rollers
Turbo coolant pump
Coolant reservoir
Fuel lines
Steering wheel (leather wrap is very worn and missng all stitching)

I'm sure this car has a few more surprises that will most likely show up after owing it for a little bit.

MR951, Efren or Shortboy, I'm here until Wednesday - drop me a PM and let's try to get together.

Later,
Vic
Old 07-05-2005, 04:59 AM
MR951
Racer

Okay, so who else is visiting Hawaii this week? I PM'd you guys (Vic, Efren and Shortyboy).

Quick Reply: I thought I got a good deal on my car...