Crank is scrapped, but why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:31 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Crank is scrapped, but why?

Just got a call from the machine shop. My crank is useless, only recourse for repair is welding, which was guessed at $350-400CDN for a start, assuming nothing when wrong. Im not keen about having a halfassed crank in my car, I dont want the extra worry. That was their position too, that welding should be considered a last recourse even tho the shop they send their stuff to does excellent work, on car cranks and large diesel cranks. There was too much wear on the thrust surface for simple maching and oversize bearings....

BUT it was the oil pump side thrust surface that was ruined, the flywheel side was fine. It was like something was pushing FROM the front of the car, on the crank??? Has anyone run into this before? The crank bearings are original, so is this an issue from the factory? I also dont remember any records of rod bearings being done, and they all looked quite good. Some sort of oiling issue, like garbage in the oil?

I want to make sure so that I can take extra care during reassembly.

The bearing. Remember, thats the side closer to the oil pump!

Crank itself. I have some better shots, just not on my server. The machine guy estimated hed have to take 10 thou easily off this side to get rid of the grooves that were worn into it.

Oh and the old crankshaft? I think im going to make a floor lamp out of it, to go with my old bucket seats that im going to convert to house seats
Old 06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're interested, I have a used crank for sale from an '87 951.

-J
Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
If you're interested, I have a used crank for sale from an '87 951.

-J
I might have a line on a local one, but if that falls through ill definatly keep you in mind. Im trying for local first, no shipping on 50-60 pounds, and no cross boarder
Old 06-27-2005, 02:41 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have one Brian and I'm a little closer.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:58 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Mike B wins!

Yeah, shipping the damn things is a pain in the butt. Just trying to find a box big enough is ridiculous.

-J
Old 06-27-2005, 03:00 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike B
I also have one Brian and I'm a little closer.
LOL! Youre in second then! Could you PM or email me with what youd be looking to get for it? thedge at gmail.com if you want to email.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
Mike B wins!

Yeah, shipping the damn things is a pain in the butt. Just trying to find a box big enough is ridiculous.

-J
Just lugging it into the machine shop office was a PITA. Didnt help that my sunglasses were insisting on falling off
Old 06-27-2005, 06:11 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Could it be that you had overtightened belts for a long period of time?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:16 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^^^^^^^^I was just going to ask that.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 06-27-2005, 06:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
Could it be that you had overtightened belts for a long period of time?
I had them to spec, 155ft/lbs, from the waterpump job I did, so unless it was from a year ago when I had the belts done at the dealership I got the car from... Or even further in the past...

Could that have caused the wear though? I think it "pushes" against itself, the drive gear just comes up against a ledge on the crank?

Edit: Ooops, read belts as bolts there, and thought of the big crank bolt. The belts were to spec except for a tad tight for 100 miles before I took the car in for a double check. I dont see how the belts could have pushed the crankshaft towards the flywheel though? If anything wouldnt that have just increased the wear on the very front bearing?
Old 06-27-2005, 07:18 PM
DanR 1201
Instructor

[QUOTE=theedge]...the flywheel side was fine. It was like something was pushing FROM the front of the car, on the crank??? Has anyone run into this before? ...

Come across this problem before. Usually caused by banging the foot too quickly on the clutch pedal. Over time wears out the thrust face surfaces. Given the age of the car now and unknown driving habits of previous drivers, I suspect this is the cause. I've had bearing remetallers successfully build up and remachine the width of the thrust face on the bearing.

I don't think you will have a problem welding up the crank either. Not a high load area just don't let anybody drive too much who isn't smooth on the clutch.
Old 06-27-2005, 07:51 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=DanR 1201]
Originally Posted by theedge
...the flywheel side was fine. It was like something was pushing FROM the front of the car, on the crank??? Has anyone run into this before? ...

Come across this problem before. Usually caused by banging the foot too quickly on the clutch pedal. Over time wears out the thrust face surfaces. Given the age of the car now and unknown driving habits of previous drivers, I suspect this is the cause. I've had bearing remetallers successfully build up and remachine the width of the thrust face on the bearing.

I don't think you will have a problem welding up the crank either. Not a high load area just don't let anybody drive too much who isn't smooth on the clutch.
Hrmmmm interesting theory. And the times youve seen it, the flywheel side was fine, and the oil pump side was ruined?

The shop my mechanics sent me to are even hesitent with welding, they see it as a last resort. It doesnt help that the one good place theyve found to do it is 6 hours away, so theres freight on the price.

And the smoothness I cant be sure of. I was quite smooth and easy on it once I learnt (and that didnt take long at all).
Old 06-27-2005, 08:05 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Either you or a previous owner was in the habit of holding the clutch in instead of putting the car in neutral and releasing the clutch.

Sam
Old 06-27-2005, 08:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Either you or a previous owner was in the habit of holding the clutch in instead of putting the car in neutral and releasing the clutch.

Sam
Yes but that would push on the crankshaft from the flywheel side towards the front of the car, resulting in wear on the surface closer to the fhywheel right? On my car, that surface is fine... Its the OTHER surface thats grooved and ruined.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Yes but that would push on the crankshaft from the flywheel side towards the front of the car, resulting in wear on the surface closer to the fhywheel right?
No.

Sam

Quick Reply: Crank is scrapped, but why?