Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

bolt size for batwing/splitter

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 09:55 AM
dr pepper
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolt size for batwing/splitter

My car came with no batwing under the front spoiler. When I look underneath I can see around 4 "holes" for bolts where the batwing may have been attached to. I am ordering a splitter and was hoping if someone knew the size of the bolts I should order and how many. When you order the splitter from AIR does it come with holes for the bolts to go or would I have to drill them in?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2005, 10:08 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You have to drill the holes out on the air. You will need close to 3" long screws for the front and I thing m6 bolts about 1.5" long for the rear.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM
dr pepper
Instructor

Thanks jimbo - how many bolts for the front and how many bolts for the rear?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:47 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I went to Sears Hardware and bought 1/4" SS bolts w/locking washers and nuts. I mounted the splitter with the bumper cover off the car. Very easy that way. The total needed was 13.

You'll need to drill holes in the splitter to mount it. It's much easier to line it all up with the bumper cover off the car. In the end it's rock-solid. I accidentally smacked a parking strip, and the splitter was unfazed.

True, I'll have to remove the bumper cover again if I ever need to remove the splitter. Not a big concern for me, because that's a pretty simple job. YMMV
Old 06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
dr pepper
Instructor

thanks red1

this may sound stupid but how did you know where to drill the holes?

i dont have the original batwing....
Old 06-24-2005, 12:23 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

You line up the holes with the bumper cover holes. The air has indents in the splitter but there not exact. The bumper cover has clips.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dr pepper
thanks red1

this may sound stupid but how did you know where to drill the holes?

i dont have the original batwing....
It's not a stupid question. Sometimes it's hard to visualize it until you get started.

Bear with me, but in detail here's what I did:

Took two garbage cans and placed the splitter across them, kind of forms a table. Then took the bumper cover off the car and placed it on the splitter. On the cans like that it's nice and elevated, so you can work around it easier.

Move the bumper cover around so that it lines up with the splitter, and get it looking all nice and even. Then I took a paint pen and marked through the mounting holes on the bumper cover to where I needed to drill holes in the splitter. There's 13, because the odd one is dead-center.

The biggest bolt I could fit through the stock mounting holes was 1/4", so that's what I used. Bought 'em at Sears for next to nothing. Yeah, now I've got SAE fasteners on my metric car, somebody sue me.

The reason I went with bolts is because I didn't trust the factory's speed nuts/screws with the weight of the splitter for which they were never designed.

I must say mine is absolutely rock solid. Yeah, there's a chance I could smack something and maybe cause damage to the bumper cover with the splitter so solidly mounted. That's a chance I'm willing to take. There's a risk when you put a splitter on a street car.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:33 PM
dr pepper
Instructor

Its clear and precise anwsers like these is why I like rennlist so much!

Thanks guys

I will do exactly what you did Red1
Hope to post pics in the near future :-)

Quick Reply: bolt size for batwing/splitter