Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AEM A/F gauge question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 12:39 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default AEM A/F gauge question

I'm due for a new O2 sensor and I noticed the AEM A/F gauge has a Bosch O2 sensor with it. Can I "kill two birds w/one stone" by buying one of these to replace my O2 sensor and supply a signal to the DME and get an A/F ratio gauge in the process? I tried to find a DIY for one of these but have yet to be successful in my search.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:49 PM
GPF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Musche
I'm due for a new O2 sensor and I noticed the AEM A/F gauge has a Bosch O2 sensor with it. Can I "kill two birds w/one stone" by buying one of these to replace my O2 sensor and supply a signal to the DME and get an A/F ratio gauge in the process? I tried to find a DIY for one of these but have yet to be successful in my search.
Hi Musche,

Yes you can, the AEM comes with a user configurable output that you can set to emulate a standard narrowband sensor (among other choices) to hook straight up to an existing engine magagement box. It also has a Serial RS232 output for datalogging.

However, the wideband sensor must be installed after the turbo, whereas the standard narrowband sensor is fitted before it. You get a boss to weld into the exhaust with the gauge.

Also, I have heard that Wideband sensors may not respond quite as quickly as a standard narrowband for stoichiometric operation - but I really don't know that. Maybe someone else here does?

It's a very nice gauge, but the bezel is a bit larger than normal. Nice quality though.

Regards

Graham

88 Turbo S
Old 06-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the AEM WBO2 gauge but I kept the narrowband O2 sensor for the DME. The AEM controller has a mode where it will output a voltage that mimics a narrowband sensor's output. However, from what I have been able to determine, it is not recommended that you use it in place of the narrowband sensor to run the DME. The wideband sensor has slower response than the narrowband, so it won't be fast enough to follow rapid changes. I can actually see this when I datalog the output of my narrowband and wideband sensors at the same time. You can see the output of the wideband lagging the narrowband.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Musche
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Very insightful advice guys. Sounds like I should just go ahead and get a Bosch replacement O2 sensor since the narrowband is necessary for the DME. I guess I can save a few $$ by buying an Autometer A/F gauge and figuring out how to wire it into the DME. I saw a DIY somewhere for this.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:02 PM
Missin2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use a stocker for the DME..

I have an AEM wbo2 in my camaro..

The narrow band output is interesting.. but there are so many out there that work differntly on each car.. and god only knows how AEM setup the output on that one..

it would "work" its jsut a metter of how well..

I wouldent want to be the one to find out the hard way..

Quick Reply: AEM A/F gauge question