Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

XP: What caused my starter to engage while driving? Need help on this one!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Default XP: What caused my starter to engage while driving? Need help on this one!

While driving home today, I heard this awful chatter from under my car. At first it sopunded like a belt squeal but then I felt a slight pulse on the clutch. Then while stopped at a light, it had hard time holding idle.

I pulled into the next parking lot and turned of the car but the noise (really freaking loud) didn't stop when I turned the car off so I thought something electrical was causing it so I worked the neg cable loose from the battery. The noise had stopped it's own before I could disconnect the cable though.

I noticed a small amount smoke coming from the back of the engine which lead me to the starter. There was smoke coming from it going up the back of the engine.

The car started again whith a slightly sick starter grind sound but the noise was not present so I nursed it home. The noise returned for a few seconds on the way home but stopped quickly.

Now the starter engages but gives that sick Chunk Whirrr sound.

Other than pulling the starter, what do I need to look at with this and has anyone experienced this before?

TIA,
Old 06-21-2005, 08:51 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Check all the wires (Positive and ground) going to the starter. Check the ignition switch. If nothing (or even to be safe) pull the starter out and have someone take a look at it, to eliminate any internal short.

Before working on the car, disconnect the battery. Of course, do not drive till it's fixed.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:58 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

John,
Any chance I screwed up the flywheel?
Old 06-21-2005, 09:06 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

You will have to check the starter teeth as well as the starter ring on the flywheel.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:21 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Thanks, John.

Keep us posted on the ignition stuff!
Old 06-21-2005, 09:30 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

My car's starter once engaged in my garage at three in the morning. The car was in gear, and drove itself into the wall, and proceeded to chug into the wall until the battery/cables gave out. In my case, the starter I had did not have the little plastic barrier between the terminals. When the terminals were last attached, they rotated against almost against each other as the nuts were tightened. Then, at night, as the temp cooled off, and dew collected, the terminals connected and never let go. The better starters have a barrier between the terminals to prevent this, but I had a cheap-o rebuild. If this turns out to be your problem, be sure to check the wires leading to the starter. My positive cable burned so badly it looked like a cigar ash. Lucky the house didn't burn down. My starter ring was fine, but the starter was, uh, "toast".
Old 06-21-2005, 09:37 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Do you mean between the battery positive and alternator cable? Which terminals shorted?

Both of those cables attach to the same post on the solenoid.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

On the starter itself, the cables touched. It's been several years now, but I posted all the (now-forgotten) details on the old mailing list under "Phantom of the Garage" -- took me days to figure out why my car drove itself into the wall at night.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:31 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

After putting the car up, I found that the small wire connecting to the solenoid made contact with the post and postitve cable.

Now I can't get the heat shield off as the top of wastegate hanger in binding it so I may need to pull that too.

Hopefully the flywheel is still OK and I need to only change the starter.....
Old 06-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I suspect that means you have a starter solinoid without the little barrier between the terminals. Hard to believe they sell them that way, but they do. When I replaced mine, I got it from a dealer and it had a barrier that prevents contact. My ring gear was ok, but the motor wasn't running like yours. Good luck. Be sure to check the cables -- I split mine with a razor blade and found ashes inside.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:57 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

I have the Iceshark cables whic have incorporated fuses so I hope the cables are OK since the fuses built into the cables didn't fry.

Also, it looks like a good time to install the Tial.....

Quick Reply: XP: What caused my starter to engage while driving? Need help on this one!