Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone use?: SPEC Hybrid Stg III

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:24 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Anyone use?: SPEC Hybrid Stg III

Hello all, I am in the market for a clutch and I was curious as to if anyone was using the Hybrid Stg III. I know some were unhappy with the chattering engagement with the original Stage III and I wanted to know if this Hybrid helped those occurances. The car in need of a clutch change is the 83' Callaway. Also KEP users; with the increased pedal effort have you noticed more frequent slave cylinder failures?

Thank you!
Old 06-20-2005, 05:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have used the KEP for 6 months now, its not noticably different from the stock clutch feel at all... no cylinder failure here.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Charlie944
Rennlist Member

That's good to hear Andrew! Thanks for the input. All is well with your setup I take it? Are you using the Cup Clutch Disk?
Old 06-20-2005, 06:28 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it should be better with one face using
the stage II compound. I'm running the Stage
III. It's much much better now than when new
but I still do get the chatter sometimes & the
take off bite is too agressive for stop & go
traffic.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:54 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

I assume we're talking about the spec Stage III-k. I've got it on my car, it's not fully broken in (probably about 70 miles so far, but the only chattering I have is in reverse (and it's not that bad). It's almost as smooth as stock and will take a ton of power, overall I'm very pleased with it. We'll see how it holds up after a few thousand miles of abuse though.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:10 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by MPD47
I assume we're talking about the spec Stage III-k. I've got it on my car, it's not fully broken in (probably about 70 miles so far, but the only chattering I have is in reverse (and it's not that bad). It's almost as smooth as stock and will take a ton of power, overall I'm very pleased with it. We'll see how it holds up after a few thousand miles of abuse though.
I experienced the same exact thing as you, identical. And yes, overall I am very pleased with it too.

Old 06-20-2005, 03:27 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys, i'm needing a clutch too. but i was thinking of stage II. how much did you guys pay for the stage III
Old 06-20-2005, 03:38 PM
dougoh
Burning Brakes

cantresjr
i paid 708.00 from smithmotorworks .com for a stage 3 and i think the stage 2 was 685.00.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:52 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cantresjr
Hey guys, i'm needing a clutch too. but i was thinking of stage II. how much did you guys pay for the stage III
Whatever you decide to buy, base it first on what the TQ needs of your car are. Once you determine that, then, shop for the best price around. I guess the first question anyone would ask you is what amount of TQ do you think you would ""realistically" be putting to the flywheel?

Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie944
Hello all, I am in the market for a clutch and I was curious as to if anyone was using the Hybrid Stg III. I know some were unhappy with the chattering engagement with the original Stage III and I wanted to know if this Hybrid helped those occurances. The car in need of a clutch change is the 83' Callaway. Also KEP users; with the increased pedal effort have you noticed more frequent slave cylinder failures?

Thank you!
Note theres two KEPs, stage one and two. Stock plate is about 2270 pounds of clamp, stage one is 2800 or so, stage two is a whopping 3800. I have a stage two Stage two is 47% more pedal effort than stock, stage one is about 24 I think.

My first major concern with the Stage2 was the clutch fork. Im getting a rebuilt one from Markus, he strengthens them and does some custom bearings too. The clutch cyls are brand new, so itll be a while before they have trouble.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:56 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by cantresjr
Do a search on the Spec clutches... LOTS of unsatisfied customers. Mostly revolving around the advice they were given by the vendor. I got my KEP pressure plate and a Cup disk from Tim at SFR, he took the time on the phone to go through the options and I have a setup thats very nice...

I do plan on going to a more aggressive clutch disk now as I am planning on more dragging. Use these people to get your disk, and then chat to SFR about the KEP. I am going to move to the 6 puck like Special Tool and David Floyd (IIRC)

http://www.clutchnet.com/make/porsche.html#944

www.speedforceracing.com
Old 06-20-2005, 04:07 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Do a search on the Spec clutches... LOTS of unsatisfied customers. Mostly revolving around the advice they were given by the vendor
Andrew your opinion on this is a bit biased anyway. But besides that fact I'm very satisfied with my Spec III-K, I'd suggest talking to Dan at Clutchexpress.com if you're interested in a Spec clutch, honest guy, he'll tell you about the clutch straight up. I ordered through him and couldnt be more pleased.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:11 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Its not an opinion really, its a statement of fact, there are lots of people unsatisfied with their clutch. I dont think the clutch is necesarily "bad", its more that those that bought from a certain vendor didnt get what they expected, and that may have given it a bit of a bad reputation.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:35 PM
cantresjr
Addict
Rennlist Member

ok, I have estimated my power around 330 to 350 to the wheels. still have to go to the dyno, just on parts installed and other cars in this forum. but woul like a clutch that can support 400 whp and TQ. that way when I upgrade i don't have to change clutches
Old 06-20-2005, 04:40 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Its not an opinion really, its a statement of fact, there are lots of people unsatisfied with their clutch. I dont think the clutch is necesarily "bad", its more that those that bought from a certain vendor didnt get what they expected, and that may have given it a bit of a bad reputation.
I also think alot of people are wayyy to picky, or dont like the engagement of the clutch (which I find to be fairly smooth). I think the 3k is worth the extra cash over the standard 3. Granted my feelings for streetable are probably a bit different than most people's, afterall my car is stripped with Sparco's, running alot of fiberglass body parts with a large turbo.

Quick Reply: Anyone use?: SPEC Hybrid Stg III