Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has anyone mounted gauges in the dash above the glovebox?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005 | 02:34 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Ah sweet, post some pics when you can.
Old 06-18-2005 | 03:17 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

screw airbags on a car pushing 20 years old...just my opinion of course. long live 86's
Old 06-18-2005 | 03:49 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Oh if I have ABS cruise and airbags they would be rotting in the garage by now
Old 06-18-2005 | 05:29 AM
Fen
Racer

In the UK, so I imagine NZ also being another RHD market, there were no 944s with airbags at all, ever.
Old 06-18-2005 | 06:59 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero10
Mine is actually part of a temperature monitoring/multifunction system. It was more just to play around with PIC microcontrollers, and interfacing them with LCD's, but the plan was to put a full temperature monitoring system in the trim near the glove box. Everything from outside air temp, to intercooler temps, A/C evaporator temps, A/C condensor temps, inside air temps, I have about 35 sensors to install. Ontop of that, it will monitor the O2 sensor, help me fiddle around with my AFM readings, perhaps eventually aid in the development of a home-made MAF for my car. It consists of 3 PIC microcontrollers, about 5 A/D converters, a 16MB compact flash card, and a 40x2 LCD display. Really cool setup, just having some programmer issues for my PIC microcontrollers. It will do temperature logging, as well as interfact with my laptop, via the serial port. So, it's as much for the driver to watch as the passenger, but the driver will be watching the data after the fact.

Don't even know what a lilliput is, sorry.
Ive been thinking of doing a similar thing, with a microcontroller for some basic logging of temps and stuff
Old 06-19-2005 | 03:33 AM
Zero10
Race Car

theedge, you may or may not know this, but if you want cheap LCD displays, check out BGMicro. Bought 4 LCD displays (2 24x2 and 2 40x2) for $12US + shipping (~25CDN when it got here). Couldn't even buy one screen for that price

If you get a damn PIC programmer to work, be sure to let me know which one it is. These things seem to work as well as muffler bearings. They will occasionally write one program here or there, but mine keeps butchering my programs in obscure ways. It will pass the verify, but if I power the PIC up, then verify the program again, it's screwed. It's a problem with my programmer

Mine is mostly for educational purposes. I want to see how my temps and various sensor readings are on the track, on the street, etc. I also want to get good with PIC programmers, since I'm building all sorts of neat-o gadgets around the house with them
Old 06-19-2005 | 04:25 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zero10
theedge, you may or may not know this, but if you want cheap LCD displays, check out BGMicro. Bought 4 LCD displays (2 24x2 and 2 40x2) for $12US + shipping (~25CDN when it got here). Couldn't even buy one screen for that price

If you get a damn PIC programmer to work, be sure to let me know which one it is. These things seem to work as well as muffler bearings. They will occasionally write one program here or there, but mine keeps butchering my programs in obscure ways. It will pass the verify, but if I power the PIC up, then verify the program again, it's screwed. It's a problem with my programmer

Mine is mostly for educational purposes. I want to see how my temps and various sensor readings are on the track, on the street, etc. I also want to get good with PIC programmers, since I'm building all sorts of neat-o gadgets around the house with them

Actually ive got a little basic stamp to fiddle with, never had a chance to try PICs. Its not super fast or anything, but what I mostly want to log to start with is a few temp sensors (im thinking of maybe ambiant, turbo out, IC out) and maybe output those to an LCD. Ive got an SMT6 and ZT2 so ill have RPM, boost, EGT, TPS all taken care of by those.

Im going to keep that BGMicro in mind, little LCDs are always pricey esp in serial Thanks!
Old 06-20-2005 | 12:46 AM
Zero10
Race Car

A BASIC stamp, IIRC those were originally designed for robotics?
A friend of mine used one of those to build a ghetto security system a little while ago

LCD's are very pricey, but BGMicro makes them cheap, it's all good. The 40x2 ones come as part of a package, but are very easy to take apart, and you get an extra litle set of buttons, and miscellaneous IC's. I plan to look up what each one is. Maybe they will be of some use.
I also like the look of the 40x2's a lot better than the 24x2's. They are rather different.

Quick Reply: Has anyone mounted gauges in the dash above the glovebox?