Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

That familiar clicking sound: CV joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 10:57 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default That familiar clicking sound: CV joints

After dealing with a sporadic clicking sound coming from the left rear, I finally removed the axel to check my CVs. The wheel side was pretty dry and showed some wear. I took it all apart and cleaned them. Fun!!! The other one is fine.

The question is, can I grease it up and use it awhile longer? And if not, can I get just this part somewhere or do I have to get a whole new joint? I'm kinda short on CV cash right now.
Attached Images   
Old 06-15-2005, 11:04 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, it looks pretty well done to me. Given the faces look like that, the ***** are probably toast as well.
Understand the funding issue, so you might be able to find a good used set fairly cheap. Check the parters. The old school trick is the reverse the piece in you pic so that the drive load in on the other face. I think yours are too badly done for that, but it might get you by for a week or two. Forget this if the ***** show bad wear.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:25 PM
silverbullet
Pro

Crap, I kinda figured I'd have to replace them. I guess it's not worth taking the time to put bad parts back in.
Thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 02:25 AM
silverbullet
Pro

Since only one is bad, should I just replace them individually? I haven't taken off the other axel yet, but I would bet that it's worn the same way. Does replacing only the bad ones per side make sense, or is it better to get a whole new axel with cvs$$$$? Jeez, $80 for one!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:19 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with Tony, looks like that one has reached the end of its useful life.

If the other joints are OK, I wouldn't bother replacing them; just clean and regrease and they should be OK.

Your axles are likely OK as well so no need to spend the extra money buying the pre-assembled units.

Quick Reply: That familiar clicking sound: CV joints