Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i love the bling
Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2005, 07:44 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

i vote powder coated center and polished lip.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Ok well thats all fine and dandy, i have settled on re-finishing them. My question to you guys now is how much does it cost to get them re-finished, where do i take them, and why can't mag wheels be chromed?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:32 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

This isn't pro or anti chrome, so don't get me wrong. You can either get a plastic chrome coating like this but it won't hold up any better than a pretty paperweight for you desk:
http://www.classiccomponents.com/plastic.htm

or there are specialty shops that can do a custom copper>electroless nickel>copper>chrome finish but it is very specialized, very very expensive, and must be done by a qualified shop such as: http://www.magplate.com

The problem with magnesium is unless you completely break down the wheel before plating, even with the best plating job the mating surfaces will wear, scratches from the bolts, the centers will get nicked and expose magnesium to the elements. The magnesium is a very active metal -1.6V compared to the chromium, copper, and nickel -.150 to -.300V. This creates quite a battery if you ever expose these wheels to roads salts and moisture. Considering where you live, I would recommend strongly against it. I would even suggest a dielectric backing plate (HMWPE/Delrin) between the wheels and hubs if I was in your position. Just the routine moisture in winter between these mounting surfaces can cause severe pitting to the mag in no time. Besides, chrome plating a rare wheel set like that will surely devalue them considerably. That's all I have to say on the subject, do what you feel best.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:49 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Ok well chroming is out of the question then. Do you know any shops that do magnesium re-finishing and how much it would run me?

Quick Reply: To Chrome or not to Chrome?