Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can you guys help me out with fair value for this car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 03:41 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I just figured out where I've seen that car before! I think you're in my neck of the woods.

There's a Rennlist member selling his Pearl White 951 -- he also advertises in the same spot, and also on Rennlist classifieds. It's got higher miles, but proper maintenance is more important on these cars than actual miles. They all have 19 years on them no matter how you cut it. This other car used to belong to another Rennlister and I believe an enthusiast prior to that. And the car has some tasteful upgrades. It might be worth a look.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:48 AM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Hey, I just figured out where I've seen that car before! I think you're in my neck of the woods."

who are you referring to?
Old 06-15-2005, 04:05 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emwporsche
who are you referring to?
Sorry... I was referring to the original poster, 'baltik'.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:35 AM
baltik
Advanced

Yup I am in SF, seen the white car before
looks to be very nice, however I am set in my ways about getting a lower mileage car with mint interior/exterior. willing to pay in the 10k range for it... could be a long wait, let me know if u see something along those lines within a day's driving distance
Old 06-15-2005, 09:00 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Baltik

Good idea to wait a good example will show up and clearly you did the right thing to have it checked out first. However, don’t do so hung up on the mileage. In 14 years of ownership I have 160K on mine and on a bad day she still out run my neighbor's new Cobra. My Baby is well maintained, did the bearings and has some upgrades. Once you find one in good condition you’ll understand my view that you have to take the keys out of my cold dead bloodied hands.

Had an issue with GEICO a while back (as well as several other rennlist posters). If you allow them to get away with the KBB or similar value they will. Keep looking and be prepared to go out of your area, don’t be too hung up on mileage, verify and check everything. Along with the help of this board rest assured everything will be alright
Old 06-17-2005, 01:01 AM
ColoradoBill
Advanced

Originally Posted by ehall
Belts, if done by mech. 800.00. Turbo coolant pump 150.00 plus install labor. Oil pan gasket...oOUCH! What's that going for these days guys? I'd think twice the belts, or more. This is an 8 k car, at the most. If those things are not as good as they were advertised, than there is plenty more coming. As far as header pipe, not sure. Would it have to be removed to weld it? Ouch again. We're in the 7500.00 range. That's just my opinion, and i'm basing it on you not doing all of this yourself. Definitely not an 11k car. Ain't PPI's grand!
I second the above. Also, wasn't the seller claiming belts were just done?

I say walk...
Old 06-17-2005, 10:28 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I agree in spending more to get a better example/condition car. Ie. spend as much as you can afford to get the best you can.

But the idea of spending 10K now or 7K plus 3K, give or take, I feel is NOT the better approach. That way YOU know for sure what has been done to the car, what parts you put on and/or who you had put them on and work on the car. Even a 12K pristine car is still not a 100% warrenty that you won't drop another 2-5K in the near future for problems.

Now if you have documented proof of the new parts put on and who put them on or worked on the car, then yes spend the 10K up front for the car.

Example: I am rebuilding my motor now. I could have bought another used motor and been into the job for half the cost and on the road 2 weeks ago. But I could very well be buying a motor that would be right back in need of a rebuild.

The point I am making is in a almost 20 year old car with out PRISTINE records, it is better to get one that might need some work and then you now know what and who has been in your car AND if done by a reputable shop, the work is warrentied. Even awesome shops do not usually transfer warreties to new owners.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:56 PM
944TurboStar
Advanced

Originally Posted by toddk911
I agree in spending more to get a better example/condition car. Ie. spend as much as you can afford to get the best you can.

But the idea of spending 10K now or 7K plus 3K, give or take, I feel is NOT the better approach. That way YOU know for sure what has been done to the car, what parts you put on and/or who you had put them on and work on the car. Even a 12K pristine car is still not a 100% warrenty that you won't drop another 2-5K in the near future for problems.

Now if you have documented proof of the new parts put on and who put them on or worked on the car, then yes spend the 10K up front for the car.

Example: I am rebuilding my motor now. I could have bought another used motor and been into the job for half the cost and on the road 2 weeks ago. But I could very well be buying a motor that would be right back in need of a rebuild.

The point I am making is in a almost 20 year old car with out PRISTINE records, it is better to get one that might need some work and then you now know what and who has been in your car AND if done by a reputable shop, the work is warrentied. Even awesome shops do not usually transfer warreties to new owners.
I second what Todd said. I bought a lower mileage 951 a few months back and evrything seemed good but I had to replace several things already so maybe it is better to buy somehting for less money and then spend the extra 3 or 4K to get it into good shape......at least then you know for sure what has been done.....

BTW - Baltik I am in your area also and there was recenlty a nice 951 with 98K and the nicest interior I have ever seen in a 951 listed on craigslist. Look for it.....it might be a good deal......red with phone dials.....in Foster City.

Quick Reply: Can you guys help me out with fair value for this car?