Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Most fun I've had driving to work...last Friday.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 12:13 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Most fun I've had driving to work...last Friday.

Now I know that many don't "approve" of letting it hang out some on the road (save it for the track), and for the most part I agree...

But if you live in Houston and get on south beltway 8, sometimes you just gotta!

Last Friday I was crusing to work, as always heading south on the beltway, went through the toll booth at Westheimer, and at the next on ramp a white 996 gets on behind. Just two Porsche's cruising along is pretty cool, but he kept on my bumper while we navigated through traffic untill we got to 59, then the traffic thins and the road opens in the morning. I proceeded to get in it some and speed up, just a little faster than the usual 80mph I typically travel, he sped up as well and the fun began. No, it wasn't a race, just a couple of guys in their cars having fun zipping down the concrete, making a ride to work tolerable. We wound em up to about 120 average and the trip down to 45 went by in a flash. I think we topped it out around 135 on the beltway, and I kept up with him shift for shift, although he seemed to get out ahead a little bit when we first took off...but once the boost came up...

Needless to say that was a fun drive to work. When I had to get off the beltway, we were door to door, giving eachother the thumbs up.

Hope to see that 996 again...
Old 06-06-2005, 12:27 PM
EdC
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I would never ever do that! I always drive no more than 5 mph over the poisted limit. Yeah....., that's right never.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:03 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by littlejt1
Now I know that many don't "approve" of letting it hang out some on the road (save it for the track), and for the most part I agree...

But if you live in Houston and get on south beltway 8, sometimes you just gotta!

Last Friday I was crusing to work, as always heading south on the beltway, went through the toll booth at Westheimer, and at the next on ramp a white 996 gets on behind. Just two Porsche's cruising along is pretty cool, but he kept on my bumper while we navigated through traffic untill we got to 59, then the traffic thins and the road opens in the morning. I proceeded to get in it some and speed up, just a little faster than the usual 80mph I typically travel, he sped up as well and the fun began. No, it wasn't a race, just a couple of guys in their cars having fun zipping down the concrete, making a ride to work tolerable. We wound em up to about 120 average and the trip down to 45 went by in a flash. I think we topped it out around 135 on the beltway, and I kept up with him shift for shift, although he seemed to get out ahead a little bit when we first took off...but once the boost came up...

Needless to say that was a fun drive to work. When I had to get off the beltway, we were door to door, giving eachother the thumbs up.

Hope to see that 996 again...
You got guts especially with the Houston PD. I actually got my only speeding ticket in Houston on that very road and I was not even speeding!! 88Chevy Beretta

I guess I got the Yin for you to Yang
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM
littlejt1
Racer

Well, depending on the day and time, the police are usualy pretty light on that particular road. Only thing you really have to be worried about is ones waiting on the other side of the toll plaza grabbing folks with EZ Tags zipping through the lanes, but I always slow down for those. There are a few miles of road there where you can see ahead pretty good, and the access is limited for traffic getting on.

As I said I usually don't do that...but it was Friday and I guess I was feelin' frisky! lol...
Old 06-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

testy...if you think houston cops are bad...try garland cops
Old 06-06-2005, 06:06 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Jake 944CS
testy...if you think houston cops are bad...try garland cops
This whole area!
All the cities in this area survive off Ticket sales....maybe not as bad as LA but with Arlington and it's entertainment(Six Flags,Rangers, Dallas Cowboys ;p
Easy pickens with the tourist!

Look for a shady spot anywhere off the highway, and check the bridges on the overpasses when you come to DFW.

But hey they are only doing their jobs right. Preventing all those robberies and crimes that occur on the highway.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:07 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Jeff, what time do you make that trip? I saw a red 951 going opposite way from me this morning, and didn't even click that it might be you.

I'm travelling BW8 to I10W every day now.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:12 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Red1
Hey Jeff, what time do you make that trip? I saw a red 951 going opposite way from me this morning, and didn't even click that it might be you.

I'm travelling BW8 to I10W every day now.
I saw a nice red 951 in Friendswood a couple of weekends ago on I-45.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:20 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Hey Jake, Russ Martin loves the Garland cops.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:39 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by ApexCars
Hey Jake, Russ Martin loves the Garland cops.
Hot Ticket ..ok that is about as local a reference as you can get....
Old 06-07-2005, 10:52 AM
littlejt1
Racer

Red-
I usually leave the house between 630 and 7am...usually hit 59/BTW 8 about 715.

I posted this on the 996 forum as well, mainly trying to see if that guys was a rennlister...but I received a lot of flame from the 996 guys, at least a few of them. Some were pretty cool, but damn, if I'd wanted a lecture I'd have called my mother! LOL!!
Old 06-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
I saw a nice red 951 in Friendswood a couple of weekends ago on I-45.
Definitely wasn't me. Haven't driven mine in longer than I want to admit. Besides, I'm the only one around here that runs Kinesis K27's on a 951, so that's a dead giveaway if you see my car.

Jeff, it was a little later. May not have been you. I was so shocked to see it I didn't get a good look at the driver.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:49 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Red1
Definitely wasn't me. Haven't driven mine in longer than I want to admit. Besides, I'm the only one around here that runs Kinesis K27's on a 951, so that's a dead giveaway if you see my car.

Jeff, it was a little later. May not have been you. I was so shocked to see it I didn't get a good look at the driver.
This one looked exactly like littlejt1 avatar. Stock wheels.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:21 AM
littlejt1
Racer

I work in the SE part of Houston/Friendswood area, so it may have been me.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:51 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by littlejt1
I work in the SE part of Houston/Friendswood area, so it may have been me.
I looked for any distinguishing marks, but can't recall any. No Dents, no Dings etc that I can recall. Either way it was one clean machine!

Quick Reply: Most fun I've had driving to work...last Friday.