Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Needle valve as boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 10:08 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Needle valve as boost controller

I've been doing some thinking (a dangerous pastime), and I was wondering about using a needle valve as a boost controller.

I'm certainly open to comments or corrections.

I have the APE Stage II chipset and a shimmed wastegate. AFAIK, the APE chips are designed to be run with a jetted banjo bolt as a method of boost control / enhancement.

The chips are mapped based on this, assumign that there will be some drop off in boost at high RPM. There is a belief that using a standard MBC is bad because it holds boost constant at high revs, rather than dropping off.

The jet in the banjo bolt seems to act as a restrictor to slow the rate of increase of pressure, and by adjusting the orifice, you can set your boost.

The kit was already installed in my car, but I understand they supply multiple jets so you can tailor it for your particular car / WG.

A needle valve is really just an adjustable orifice, so my thinking is by replacing the jet wwith a needle valve, you actually have a continuously variable orifice that should allow for more precise tunign while still keeping with the same "concept" and overall behaviuour that the chips are deisgned for.

HAs anyone tried this ?
Old 05-25-2005, 11:10 PM
eniac
Drifting

There is a belief that using a standard MBC is bad because it holds boost constant at high revs, rather than dropping off.
Holding constant boost is the main reason WHY people remove the CV and go to a MBC/EBC and dual port WG.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:38 PM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

Yes, but apparently the APE chips aren't mapped for it, and that's why people have issues with them running a bit lean at high RPM's.

Please don't suggest that I get new chips.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 AM
x15jq
Track Day

Hey I have been running a needle valve on my 86 turbo since last march. I got ape stage 2 chips and the guy never gave me the banjo insert so i had no choise since ape didnt want to sell me the jets seperately. It works perfectly, i just turned it up till it was a hair before 2 on the stock gauge and in the 1 year ive had it like this no problems no over boost nothing. I retained the cv tho.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:22 AM
mroberts
Burning Brakes

That's cool ! Where did you get the valve from ?

I'm planning to keep the CV too.

Quick Reply: Needle valve as boost controller