Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Copper exhaust gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005 | 03:34 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Copper exhaust gaskets

Besides being overall cheaper and reusable, any other benefits? Can they be used on a stock system, with the stock crush rings in or out?

I ask because I somehow forgot to remove the old ones when I dropped my headers, crossover, and downpipe off for ceramic coating. So now theyre... Coated over. I could have a go at removing them, but the apparent best way of using an oxy torch to get them red hot to pop them out isnt an option. My other idea involved a drill, which might not be too bright.

Im referring to the ones at Lindsey Racing
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:44 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes you can drill the stock crush rings easily, they're very soft.

I've used the copper gaskets with stock rings in and with them removed on different cars - never had an exhaust leak, and I now use only the copper gaskets on any car I take apart.

Sam
Old 05-25-2005 | 08:12 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

I use the LR gaskets.
Old 05-25-2005 | 12:22 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Yes you can drill the stock crush rings easily, they're very soft.

I've used the copper gaskets with stock rings in and with them removed on different cars - never had an exhaust leak, and I now use only the copper gaskets on any car I take apart.

Sam
Hmmm ok good to know.

I might order up some of those gaskets. The resusable bit is appealing. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2005 | 12:28 PM
AlexE
Pro

I found the same copper gaskets locally at a local Mopac. Try some of the hot rod performance shops in your area. I also just use the copper ones alone.
Old 05-25-2005 | 12:31 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AlexE
I found the same copper gaskets locally at a local Mopac. Try some of the hot rod performance shops in your area. I also just use the copper ones alone.
Really? At Mopac? Ill have to have a look, thanks! Happen to have any part numbers or anything?
Old 05-25-2005 | 12:32 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I would definately go for copper gaskets, but i purchased the stock crush-rings before Lindsey developed that "new" product.

It is re-useable and lasts longer "seals" better (if you have/had a selaing problem).
Old 05-25-2005 | 01:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

After I called Lindsey
and asked if they had an other copper gaskets . They told me that they only carry 2, those for the down pipe - cat pipe and the cat to muffler .. Then I had gone to the website after ordering the small crush rings from Vertex and see Lindsey is now selling the small ones now but they are pretty expensive more than the large ones, I believe. It was 25 bucks vs 17 for the big ones in think
regards
Ed
ps I ask because I somehow forgot to remove the old ones when I dropped my headers, crossover, and downpipe off for ceramic coating. So now theyre... Coated over.
I did the same thing and was wondering if I could use them that way as they do have a larger coating on them now and mine do stick up
... Maybe I am just being to cheap ... I already bought the small rings
Old 05-25-2005 | 02:11 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
After I called Lindsey
and asked if they had an other copper gaskets . They told me that they only carry 2, those for the down pipe - cat pipe and the cat to muffler .. Then I had gone to the website after ordering the small crush rings from Vertex and see Lindsey is now selling the small ones now but they are pretty expensive more than the large ones, I believe. It was 25 bucks vs 17 for the big ones in think
regards
Ed
ps I ask because I somehow forgot to remove the old ones when I dropped my headers, crossover, and downpipe off for ceramic coating. So now theyre... Coated over.
I did the same thing and was wondering if I could use them that way as they do have a larger coating on them now and mine do stick up
... Maybe I am just being to cheap ... I already bought the small rings

I already bought ALL the rings and seals The stock rings are a one use thing unfortunatly, but maybe with the coating on... Im not gonna try it tho
Old 05-25-2005 | 02:17 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

We are both cheap bastards !!!
Please let me know if it wks ...
regards
ED
Old 05-25-2005 | 04:21 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I need a gasket for the connection from my downpipe to the Bursche Cat-Bypass (Test Pipe). I know Dave @ GPR has them in stock but was wondering if anyone knows what the dimensions of the gasket are? I'm not at home and would like to call call Mopac and see what they have. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2005 | 04:29 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

My stock down pipe to Cat uses the big(crush) O ring gasket the is 75 mm OD
part # 944 111 205 03
hope thats what you wanted
The test pipe I thought used a diff set up ??

regards
Ed
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:01 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

The Bursch pipe does not accept an 0-Ring. And I don't believe the O-Ring goes on the downpipe side. So there would not be a place to put in the O-Ring. I actually purchased a complete set of exhaust O-Rings but found out I can only use 2 of them. Bursch makes a gasket but it would take some time to get here so I thought I might try to get on locally. Do you know what the inner diameter of the Bursch exhaust is? The gasket would be a triangular 3 bolt gasket with a big hole in the center. I'm thinking I could tell Mopac the size of the hole and the shape of the gasket and possibly get a match.
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:14 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I know the crush ring goes on the cat pipe
I was referring to the marriage of the two, not which piece goes where
sorry if it was confusing ..
As I had speculated the test pipe has a different set up ...
Lindsey I know has the triangular copper gaskets
they and other speed shops carry them
Did you want me to measure anything else for you ?
regards
Ed
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:20 PM
Dave E
Pro

How are the copper gasgets designed to work, I mean, how do they create a seal when they seem way to hard to comform to the parts they are trying to seal. My copper gasgets leak, I'm looking for a replacement for them now...I have a Lindsey crossover pipe that leaks at the joint with the copper ring, and my Fabspeed converter pipe leaks at the turbo downpipe, and the mating surfaces for the cat back leak too. I am not impressed with copper gaskets at all.

Quick Reply: Copper exhaust gaskets