Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Performance Development (Link MAP), Sorry but I need to vent some more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 10:14 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Performance Development (Link MAP), Sorry but I need to vent some more.

Performance Development (Link MAP), Sorry but I need to vent some more.

Morning Team,

I first must admit that, in my humble determination, quality control at Performance Development is lying splattered somewhere on the men’s room floor. This is based on the issues that I am having with the MAP module requiring it to be serviced twice within a six month period! Now I need to share what I think about their customer service.

I hate giving up my Baby (the 951) so much so, that if God permits, I hope to have access to her after my awaking in glory. So last week Thursday, after work, I pulled the troublesome unit out of my car for overnight delivery. Dutifully, I called Link, told them it was coming, received a RGF number, wrote it on the package with big bold letters, and went about shipping it. I would have done an overnight delivery; however, I learned that Performance Development isn’t open on Saturdays. As a direct result, it was sent two day priority promised to be there on Performance Development’s door steps Monday 5/16/2005. No body at my end would dare to screw that up as it is widely known that retribution would be immediate and extremely brutal.

Fast forward, the kid in me wanted to call first thing Monday but what if it wasn’t delivered until late afternoon? I didn’t want to be a PITA. So Tuesday as I was thinking its time to jump all over this I thought give them an opportunity. Late Wednesday afternoon I couldn't contain myself any longer and called to find out the status of my unit and learned that Performance Development didn’t receive it. At this point I was looking for everyone who was responsible first born. Maybe it was the way I asked but within minutes of inquiring I learned that delivery was attempted, as promised, on Monday. Due to the fact that I shipped it insured a signature was required. Since no one was there at Performance Development at the time of delivery, earlier afternoon I may add, a notice was left stating what had to be done to access my package. Yesterday, Friday afternoon, a week after my Priority package was sent, I received a call from Performance Development stating that they were going to go about securing my package.

I my mind’s eye, quality control still remains somewhere on the men’s room floor. However, Performance Development’s customer service was stepped in and transported. This may be the reason why if your looking at any of their products you may be smelling something strangely familiar (no its not roses). Thanks I need ventilation. ed
Old 05-21-2005, 11:12 AM
J Chen
Drifting

Going about securing your package after a week ?
What sort of bloody service is that ? I remembered
M42 racer was raving about them.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:25 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

hey ed you can use my box until you get yours back as my car down for awhile!
Old 05-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Just an FYI. That MAP kit is manufactured by LINK-USA and not performance developments. A lot of us have had issues with the Link kits. My programmer started displaying strange characters. It turns out that the way the connector is mounted to the PCB on the controller causes a lot of stress on the solder joints when plugging and unplugging the cable. You simply have to resolder them which takes about 5 minutes.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:11 PM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

I never unplug my handheld I just stuff it in the glovebox.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:11 PM
ewainwright
Racer

"My programmer started displaying strange characters. It turns out that the way the connector is mounted to the PCB on the controller causes a lot of stress on the solder joints when plugging and unplugging the cable. You simply have to resolder them which takes about 5 minutes".

Again, I wish it were that simple. We all know that is the first place to look. Further, what does that do to your warranty when you open the box? More, I had no signal come from the unit. Finally, others have similar experiences requiring that their runts, I mean units, be returned. Stop trying to down play my issues with the unit and Performance Development / Link as they are real and not solvable in five minutes. Finally what other product in the market has that problem. To me its inexcusable that a plug and connection should fail so regularly with so many people. Personally, I'd prefer a unit that works as advertised. I guess customer service should be a bonus?

“Just an FYI. That MAP kit is manufactured by LINK-USA and not Performance Developments”

Let’s play a little game called follow the bread crumbs. If you need service you call (949) 646-7471. They answer Performance Development and Link USA. Performance Development They are Link’s USA arm. Call for yourself and check their website .Further, on the invoice that I received from them the last time I sent a Link part in for repair clearly states Performance Developments (Link USA)

I would never knowingly give out misleading information

Intelligent people can agree to disagree. I feel that the Link MAP has an inherent design defect and that their quality control and customer service are best served by a mop and bucket.

You are entitled to your belief that the Performance Developments (Link USA) product,, quality control, and customer service is the next best thing to mother's milk

“hey ed you can use my box until you get yours back as my car down for awhile!”

Thank-you for your offer. Really do appreciate it. However, considering my track record with the unit its best not to borrow yours

Last edited by ewainwright; 05-23-2005 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Performance Development (Link MAP), Sorry but I need to vent some more.