Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Steering questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering questions

I took my car in for an alignment today, and finally found the source of the intermittant steering pull I've been experiencing. I have 2 shot inner tie rod ends, and a rack whose output shafts have one heck of a lot of play. I can move them forward/backward probably 1/2", which is probably why it leaks like a sieve. So, I may be able to salvage the rack from my 86, I don't know how far down the fire got. I had rebuilt it less than a year before the fire, and up until then, it didn't leak a drop.
I may need to track down a couple seals for where the steering shaft goes in, but other than that, I think it will be alright.
Obviously, I know I need to swap the tie rods for it to fit my late-offset car, but is there anything else I should know about?
I just don't want to get it in, everything attached, then notice that the toe-in is so much I can't even move the car, or something weird like that.

Hopefully I'll get out of this one with a bill of less than $500. This thing is already adding up again. $4500ish for the engine rebuild, now $170 for an alignment (Plus $47 in labour for the failed alignment), $80 for an OOP inspection, $100 to recharge the A/C, $320 for new front tires, now $150 a piece for new tie rods.... I thought the bills would stop after I installed the engine.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:56 AM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget these cars are 18 years old try that with some other brand.

Quick Reply: Steering questions