Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Boost problems after weekend run

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 AM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Boost problems after weekend run

This weekend I drove up to Oregon in the 951. The total trip was 836 miles, but about an hour & a half into the drive it wasn't boosting properly. It would only boost to the first line after 1 bar on the stock guage in any gear. Spool up seemed slower also. Normally it would pull just short of 2 bar in 3, 4th, & 5th. I'm running Authority stadge II chips, banjo bolt, & everything else is stock. So I stopped and checked out the car. Didn't see any vacuum leaks, no vacuum hoses popping off, oil looked fine. Got back in and it ran much better but it only boosted to about 1.8 bar. About an hour later it again wouldn't boost past ~1.2 bar. Stopped again and everything looked O.K. Got back on the road and it boosted to ~1.8.

So, it seems to be boosting O.K. but not nearly like it was before. I'm thinking something tripped the get-home safe feature, but the motor seemed to be running fine w/o any knocking, oil, or temp issues. I had a similar experience with my GTI 16v once where it simply refused to make any power. I kept on it and I ended up blowing out the clogged piece of substrate from the cat. Once I blew that out it was fine. It kind of feels like the cat is clogged because the spool up is slow and there is too much back pressure preventing higher boost levels. When I stopped, maybe the clogged piece realigned itself in the cat?

Any thoughts? Got home late last night and haven't really looked at the car or done any searches yet.

Quick Reply: Boost problems after weekend run